Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook time differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook time differences?

Should I expect the needed cook time to differ significantly for one rack vs. the other? (I’ll bend-test each rack.)

Baby-Backs: One rack = 3.45 lbs., the other 2.38 lbs.
    Attached Files

I'm going to wager yes, I could be wrong though. But I would suggest an hour, hour &half longer on the big one.

Comment

It really depends on how thick they are. If they are the same thickness then they should cook in about the same time. If the bigger one is a 1/2 inch thicker it could take 3/4 to an hour longer. Use the bend test to check when done. You can wrap the little one in butcher paper and a couple of clean towels and it will stay nice and hot.

Comment

Looking at my cook notes, running 225-235 I've seen 1.5 to 2 hours more for 3.5 lb racks vs 2.5 lb racks and sometimes the big racks don't crack as well using the bend test, so for big racks I also check with a toothpick for tenderness.

Comment

I've had this happen a time or two. I would use the 3-2-1 method, and just wrap the big one a little earlier and unwrap it last. It has always worked out fine for me this way.
          Last edited by Steve R.; August 23, 2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Depending on what cooker you have place the thick one near the heat source.

Comment

I did BB for the 1st time. It was on my vertical gas smoker. One was 3.5 lbs and the other was about 2.7 lbs. I put the big one on the top rack (out of 4) and the smaller one on the next to top rack. The top one took a good 45 minutes longer than the little one. I foiled the little one and let it rest while the bigger one finished. I had about a 25 degree difference between the 2 racks.

I think with your greater size difference you will need to either start the bigger one earlier, or let it go longer while putting the smaller one in to a cambro. I did put a probe in the bigger one because the thick end was almost an inch thicker.

Comment

All cuts of meat are the same,,,,but different
                cook times can vary from what I have experienced
                not drastically but I have had some racks that take a bit longer to finish than others
                wrap them and grab a beer,,,,,enjoy the Pit Boss treats and call the family

Comment

Thanks to all for your input! The larger rack (right in the pic) took an extra hour (started it an hour earlier). It was about 1/4 "thicker than the other rack " more than that in some locations. The thicker rack took 5.5 hrs. I then wet sauced, killed the heat and let it rest 30 minutes in declining heat. It was wonderful – super moist. Going forward, I think I’ll seek out thicker racks. Thanks again.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Glad it worked out for you. Looks Delicious!

Comment

Looks great! Glad it all worked out!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here