Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butts party - First time dry brineing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butts party - First time dry brineing

Happy Friday!
    We're having a party tomorrow and I'm doing 3 butts. For some reason I never dry brined before so I did my prep work yesterday and gave it a shot. Used the Meatheads memphis dust for the rub like I always do.

Had a totally unexpected freak thunderstorm come through and i hadn't properly prepared my BBQ IQ for the rain so i quickly made a beach towel-pool float covering.

I'm soaked and I've earned my beer for the night!
    Attached Files

Sweet. They look tied up pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Sweet. They look tied up pretty well.
      Thanks! My best friend is a chef and he usually does that part. It was my first time but I've seen him do it enough to get the idea. These butts were fattier and needed a lot more trimming than what I usually get so I was a little worried.

And now the rain seems to be holding my pit temp down a little. May need to stick some more hot coals in.
      And have another beer.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing sucks the heat out of a pit like rain.

Keep on chugging along.......how did it turn out?

Comment

Well it was a great day.
        There was a lot of extra fat and connective tissue in these butts but ultimately the flavor was outstanding. I'm glad I trimmed them Wednesday and I'll be dry brineing from here on out.
        served with the Carolina mustard sauce from the site, all our guests were thrilled.

The cook finished earlier than I expected but I held them in a faux cambro while I did some miso wings.

While I was most worried about the pork the wings stole the show. Indidnt get a great pic but several people said they were the best they ever had.

Until the next cook!

Attached Files

Comment

• scottdware
          scottdware commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow that looks amazing, PJD! Nice work, man!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here