Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presa Iberica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presa Iberica

I felt like treating myself, so I grilled som Presa Iberica. It's a part of the chuck from the black hooved pigs from the Spanish peninsula. Exceptionally rich in flavor. This is Bellota quality, which is the highest. Bellota = Acorn, which is part of their diet.

This is a classic reverse sear steak. I cooked it on my Big Green Egg at 150° C / 300° F for 25 minutes. Then let that fire rip, so I could sear it to a target temp of 58-60° C / 133-136° F. Gorgeous! I applied my own (Hank's Signature) rub, which turned out to be an excellent match with the rich pork.

Here's the meat

Click image for larger version

Name:	presa-1.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	726637

Here's the meat with rub applied

Name:	presa-2.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	726639

Getting that fire started, using the awesome Cuba charcoal

Name:	presa-3.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	726638

The Presa on the grates, getting some smoke

Name:	presa-4.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	726641

Searing the Presa over high heat

Name:	presa-5.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	726640

This hunk o´meat weighs in at 1 lb roughly.

Gratuitous meat shot, just perfect

Click image for larger version  Name:	presa-6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	534.5 KB ID:	726644

Flavorwise I served it with a salad that goes well with the rich meat. It's maché lettuce, nectarines and goat cheese. I drizzled some balsamico vinegar creme on top. This is a flavor combo I can highly recommend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	presa-7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	654.3 KB ID:	726645

If you haven't tried the Iberico pork yet, you need to. It's dayumn good!

PS I used the trusted Smobot for this cook. Absolutely love it! DS

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter lived in El Puerto de Santa Maria, in the Andalusia region just south of Extremadura. My wife and I spent a month there visiting her and driving around the Spanish "outback" I think I can can eat Jamon and drink fino morning, noon, and night and at all times in between.

Drooling about now. I have only seen the hams, very expensive.

Comment

I would go with that if it wasn’t going to be brisket tonight. That really looks great.

Comment

Wow that looks delicious.

Comment

Simply mahvelous! 👍 🕶

Comment

That looks super.

Comment

That's the one thing you EU guys have over us, reasonably priced Iberico Pork. That steak here would easily be $75-80 I bet. However much it cost they are delicious.

Anyway, again, great shots and an excellent cook. I was in a new bbq restaurant a few months back and they served their food on those metal trays with a piece of pink butcher paper to absorb the grease. I like them, did you source them locally or buy them on like Amazon?

Comment

looks outstanding !!!!!
              I have had the pleasure to indulge in some jamon iberico de bellota awhile back
              "delicious" does not do it justice

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. It’s silly good.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd like to compare it to Duroc sometime and see if there really is a difference in the hogs having an acorn diet.

Just like everybody else here, now my mouth is watering. Then I looked the cut up - around 60 bucks including shipping for a pound - I guess I'll just make these pics my screen backgrounds and drool until I win the lottery...

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Unfortunately the tolls and customs fees and shipping makes it very expensive in the US.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik, I'll get my hands on some eventually, and thanks to you guys I'll know how to cook it without screwing it up!

Great cook Henrik! That meat sounds incredible!

Comment

Could've told me that was beef and I'd believe it in every pic. Yum!

Comment

Hungry again.

Comment

I think jamon Iberica de bellota is much better than prosciutto. Wish it wasn't so expensive. We'll be visiting Spain next spring but I understand that US Customs won't allow us to bring (cured) jamon into the US (someone tell me I'm wrong!) and, of course, fresh meat is also a no-no.

Comment

I found this jamon iberica de bellota that features free shipping:

Shop Reserva Jamon Iberico de Bellota, aged 4 years. LaTienda offers the best of Spain shipped direct to your home - fine Spanish foods, cookware and more.

Comment

• ofelles
                        ofelles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And it's marked down over $100!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here