Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork with a loooong hold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork with a loooong hold

This past weekend we celebrated my mom's and my aunt's birthday, and as usual I was asked to provide the meat, they wanted pulled pork. Easy peasy right?

The party started on Sunday at 3:30 at a park. The problem was I play piano at church on Sundays and this past week was my company picnic right after church, and we wouldn't have time to go home at any point in between. Since the party was at a park, I couldn't just pull out a crock pot or microwave to warm up the pork.
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​The solution? Keep it warm. But I also don't want to stay up all night at my Jambo or chance it with an overnight cook on my PBC. The solution part 2? Keep it warm overnight and through the next day, a 16 hour hold.

I timed the cook top end around 9:30, which it did. I preheated my cambro with hot water for 30 minutes before the pork went in, and got it from the oven into the cambro as quickly as possible. I then filled a 6" hotel pan with water and put it in the oven to heat up. I woke up at midnight and put that pan, water at 175, in the cambro as well to help maintain the temp overnight.

In the morning, the water was at 155. I put the pork back in the oven at 275 while I got ready and dumped the water. I preheated the cambro again with some boiling water, and dumped that and added more boiling water with the meat just before walking out the door. It held there for another 8 hours until I took it out, pulled it, and served, still hot.

​​​​​​This story is about the hold, but I have to say I forgot how good PP can be. The last several I have done I didn't spritz or wrap, and the bark was just way too hard, almost inedible. Also minimal smoke flavor, even with the Jambo. This time I went back to my good wood, spritzed, and wrapped, and oh man it was really good. Everyone at the party loved it, and my mom said it was the best meat she had ever had

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rambling. Here's the only pic I have, of the leftovers I got to keep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_194411.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	717211

I routinely hold pork butts 12-16 hrs in a ~170° oven for workday potlucks; foil pans, covered tightly, pull on site.
    It tastes / feels like it just came outta my smoker...

Same holds true fer beans, as posted in th Bean channel...

Comment

I like it when a plan works out.

Comment

I don’t like to serve them unless they have been held for at least two hours. I have done some 8 hour holds, but nothing quite as long as yours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here