Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country style ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country style ribs.

Did country style ribs low and and slow. Rubbed with Eat BBQ rub and MMD. Cooked until probe tender. Prior to starting them made a fire roasted red onion and tomato salad with avocado and cilantro. Add in a lettuce salad and you have a nice little evening repast.
    Attached Files

I love country style, one of my favorites!

Comment

Those look great
      For the life of me I have yet to cook country style ribs to my own expectations
      They always end up dry , but are flavorfull
      can’t seem to zero in on the best method to cook those babies up
      maybe brine them up first ?
      Haven’t tried that yet

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        There are two types of country style ribs. One is from the Loin which are best cooked like thick Loin Chops. The other is from the shoulder (Boston Butt) which can be cooked low and slow.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Around here we get the loin chops that LA Pork Butt refers to. I do them like my mom did: grill them on both sides, then simmer them in sauce for about an hour.

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t decide to do them until early this am. I dry brined for 4 hours the. Rubbed them and put on YS-640 at 225. They were at about 160 after an hour and 45 minutes, more important, they were probe tender based on thermopen.

I will give that a shot.
      Thats how they are coming out.
      I might try brining them also just to see
      thanks

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine were cut from a Boston butt. I went probe tender more than temp. My plan was to get them to 203, however, they were tender at
        160 and very probe tender. Can be a challenge as they are sometimes quite different muscles from the butt that are thrown on to cook together as separate entities.

Lookin' good to me.

Comment

We always get country style ribs at our property in Iowa. Rub them for an hour and slow smoke them. They are usually about 4x2x1. Awfully good eatin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
          I love country style, one of my favorites!
          Ditto!!

Comment

@ LA PORK BUTT, Is there any obvious visual difference in the loin style country ribs vs the butt country style ribs that I could tell by looking at them ?
            When I pick them up at the store,usually on sale, the tag just says Country Style Pork Ribs.
            I usually grill them and I go from tough and chewy to dry and flavorless
            The sauce is usually the best part
            I think that I am mistreating these little devils

Comment

This is a country style rib cut from the loin and would be best if cooked like a chop. They're very lean and the meat has a consistent appearance. See how little marbling there is?

Click image for larger version  Name:	country-style-ribs-raw-on-plate-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.5 KB ID:	705288

These cuts are probably from the end of the loin, but I think they would be better if cooked low and slow. The piece on the far left looks pretty lean to me, so it might be a bit dry cooked low and slow. But looking at the other pieces, see the several different types of muscle groups separated by collagen layers and the nice marbling?

Click image for larger version  Name:	cr1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	705289

The bone in these pieces is from the shoulder blade. Another good low and slow type of country rib -- I'd call this more of a pork shoulder steak --

Click image for larger version  Name:	e3da15d0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.1 KB ID:	705290

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice visual explanation IowaGirl

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                Very helpful. Been wanting to try these. Thanks IowaGirl

I like the shoulder ones, more fat, more flavor. If you get them cut thin like flanken ribs, they grill up pretty fast. Good eats !!

Also, nice cook btw Sweaty Paul

Comment

Gawd these are fantastic, love these. Strong rub and slowish is real real good. Mine are always boneless with lots of crunch fat and cut from the shoulder.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here