Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

140 lbs of pork butt in the smoker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140 lbs of pork butt in the smoker!!

I am cooking for a grad party tomorrow afternoon for my nephew and a company party tomorrow night.. 140 lbs of pork butt is in the smoker at 250. 20 lbs of coleslaw to go and 2 gallons of BBQ sauce. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190621_184348.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	698627

Nice work. I like to rotate them sometimes to get even coloring on each one. Cooked a 16lb butt today as a test run for next week.

Comment

You got some kind of meat there, Iā€™m getting the sweats just looking at it !!!! šŸ‘

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup that is a load.. it will be interesting to see how much longer this takes than six butts did last time .. it will be a good experiment as long as they are done for the noon grad party!!

Well, it appears like ya have th Appetizer Course covered...

It's never too late to git/fabricate more slaw, lol!

Wishin ya th G, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, reatest Cook Ever, Brother!

Left^ intact, (sic), cat on keyboard...

Figgered Smokey's entitled to contribute, as well...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        An, fwiw, ime, Never, Ever say "I told ya so", an try not to even smile, discernibly...ya can thank me later lol! Jus roll on, like nuthin happened, fer Safety's sake...

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones she refused to let me be right and one upped me .. bought 25 lbs of cabbage mix.. turned out to 34 lbs of coleslaw.. under 2 pound left at one party and all gone at the other..huh!!!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        run out, an 2 lbs., huh? Hmmmm, who'da ever thunk?????
        Backroadmeats

Meat coma. Quite the smoker full. Nice work.

Comment

Ok, you convinced me, tomorrow up early and off to the store looking for pork butt.
        Don't think I'll be needing a buck forty of it though....

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Go big or go home!! U can never go wrong with pulled pork

That's a load!

Comment

Pulled pork may be the most versatile meat on the planet. We just did pulled pork won-tons, they were great !!!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            I remembered you made this comment but could not find a thread on it.. I have some left over pulled pork and was wondering if you would share a recipe??

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Itā€™s actually my Asian wifeā€™s recipe. She makes them with ground pork but I grabbed some pulled out of the freezer and told her to try that. Iā€™ll probably get her to do them again and post. Tedious work !!

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it is tedious.. thanks

Holy smoker bat man!!!! That looks awesome..šŸ˜±

Comment

Looks great! I just cooked 60 lbs. Was a learning experience for sure. My biggest cook yet. I had probes in two of the Butts on different shelves. Temp difference was about 15 degrees. I probed all of the Butts and found out I must have a cold spot or that Butt was not fully thawed because I had to leave it in for another 30 minutes.

Comment

Getting a little nervous now. Smoker won't get above 220. I might have to come up with plan B soon. IT of 164. But it does smell amazing!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190622_043623.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	698853

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats a load. I overwhelmed myself with a 80 pound cook but sure was satisfying when done.
                Are you using your electric oven?

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                holehogg I have a home built electric smoker that was way to small for what I was trying to do.. I had to pull seven butts out and put in the oven to get back on track . My smoker couldn't build enough heat that loaded up.. oh well all the butts are done and delivered .. turned out great now I just have to add a little horsepower to that smoker!!

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                I also struggled with my vertical gasser that has a 2 ring burner. It took a long time to get back up to temp after loading. Well either way you got them done and given your talents I'm sure they turned out good.

Quit opening the door to take pictures! Let 'em ride, and with pork butt, you can (if your smoker will let you) crank that temp up! It won't hurt them.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                The temp is set at 270 . I think i may have overloaded the smoker. Temp is slowly climbing now. I had to see what they looked like it has been almost 12 hours since I put them in šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like you had a lot of moisture that kept the ambient temps down. Just a guess.

That's what I was thinking... Evaporative cooling on another level. Very little airflow.

Comment

Just curious... did you dry brine those????

asking for a friend

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                  Backroadmeats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes I dry brine!! Not one bit mushy!!

• Backroadmeats
                  Backroadmeats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup.. made some hotdish today too..

• Backroadmeats
                  Backroadmeats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wasn't mushy..

This is great, I had to show my wife. I (and my PBC) felt overwhelmed with my measly 3 butts this past weekend. You had nearly as much cole slaw to serve as I had butt! šŸ˜‚

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here