Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNCH BMTU BBQ Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNCH BMTU BBQ Party

My wife works at UNC Hospital on the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. Last year we hosted a BBQ for them, and about 30 people showed up, plus kids. I guess we did something right, because they asked her for another one this year and around 55 adults have RSVP'd. Its kinda potluck style - we're providing the pork, cole slaw, and baked beans and everyone else can bring whatever they want. So the fun has begun...

We picked up three bone in butts from Sams Club yesterday each right around 8.8 pounds. Last night I made up a fresh batch of MMD. Didn't want to fool with any of the rubs I've been tinkering with, or laying them, just going old skool tried and true!

(Yes, mom found ground rosemary and sent it to me just for this rub... mom rocks).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	698291

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	698289
    Those empty Costco sized spice containers are great for storing this stuff.

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	698290

This morning I cut the butts in half, trimmed them, and started them dry brining.

Name:	IMG_0166.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	698292

Tomorrow I'm going to try to do all of them on the PBC grate, moving and flipping every 90 min or so. I'm not really sure about the cook time, when I hung one whole butt it took about 6 hours. I know 3X the meat is going to have an impact, but cutting them in half will mitigate some of that too. I'm thinking I'll get them on by 8am and wrap if I get pressed for time. If they move along more quickly I'll just let them roll and get bark-licious and give them more hold time. If anyone has any tips, lemme know!

To be continued...

Fun! My father in law is at Wake Med & UNC Rex! You know you’re doing something right when people ask for more bbq events with you as the pit master!

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Going to the beach in 1 week, was in the mountains 2 weeks ago...

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Dan Deter which beach? Over the 4th of July?

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      scottranda Atlantic, weekend before the 4th, doing a 4-day weekend.

I always save my large spice containers so that I can have different rubs made in bulk batches. I am looking forward to your follow-up on this. I haven't done a shoulder yet on the PBC, will soon though, but we are trying to do family get togethers here for my wifes side of the family. I did pork shoulder last year and my brother-in-law did the ribs, but I plan on upping my game.

Comment

Must agree and stick with tried and tested rub.
      We love MMD on anything pork.
      Enjoy the cook.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re so right. Something about all that sweetness in MMD just shines on Pork. I’ve experimented with rubs a lot the past 6 months, but the MMD is still my go to.

I only have one tip....DON'T break a leg! ;-)

Or should I say 'the other'.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen to that! Two sets of xrays in the past month, but major no structural issues. I’ll take it. You heal up!

That sounds like fun times.

Comment

Got the MMD on:

Name:	D9D380D4-EC60-4304-94E1-DF6F9B2C40D9.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	698876

Lit the PBC with my usual 15/10/10 method. Butts on by 8am over a few applewood chunks. Bit tighter fit than I thought, had to move the ambient probe out of the clip and dangled just below the grate. Fingers crossed...

Name:	F16E60CA-E549-41F9-BD80-F2D2951E62EB.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	698875

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good and the pic's made me somewhat excited.

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx holehogg so far so good. PBC temps were 330-305 over first hour, about what I’d expect. Checked them after an hour but didn’t see a need to flip them yet, probably after hour 2. Had it with the iGrill2. This is a replacement one and it loses connectivity way too often compared to my original one (which was replaced for free cuz port 4 stopped working after 18 months). Fireboard for my bday but that’s a month away.

I just ate too, but ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

2 hours in, PBC temp was at 275F.

Name:	F1282A37-606D-4EB8-8994-00A4207B7D90.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	698921

They were ~115F IT, went ahead and flipped them.

Name:	5339F4A0-387E-483A-A871-93BB32482A79.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	698922
          PBC temp up to 320F afterwards. Steady as she goes...

Comment

Thank you for supporting your wife's Bone Marrow Unit and your wife for her work.
            Our family, and we're not alone, has watched as my daughters best friend has had 3 bone marrow transplants since the age of 7, he's now 24, as he continues to fight a re-occurring cancer.
            It is heart breaking to see what this young man has endured but fought thru every time.
            A little thing like this in the grand scheme of things will certainly bring a smile to peoples faces.
            ….and deem butts do look good....

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s just brutal and unfair, the pediatric cases feel even more so. Ill let her know! 👍🏻

So after 3 hours, IT was 115F but my ambient temp was at 260F and falling fast. I took one rebar out, and this helped keep it around 285F for 45 min... and it started falling quickly again.

After 4 hours I checked them, IT was ~150F and ambient was again down to 260F.

Name:	94E80613-08DF-4A07-90D4-2A9B66918AF4.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	698978

I suspected I was running low on fuel given the relatively large amount of meat and had lit ~50 briquettes in a chimney 20 min earlier. I carefully removed the grate for a better look...

Name:	3A04F778-3AF8-4101-A500-48FDBBBB5CD4.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	698977

Lots of drippings and in my guesstimation not enough fuel to get me to the finish - so I added the chimney. Ambient temp is now back up to 320F and slooowly falling. I think I can still get where I need to be with the bark I want.

Thanks EVERYONE for all all the help over my time here on AR. I’ve learned so much, I haven’t panicked (yet) in this cook and still feel confident! 👍🏻

Not out of the woods yet tho...

Comment

That refill seems to have worked. From 5-7.5 hours I kept the ambient temp between 285-325F. I’m good with the bark and covered them in a large foil pan to finish in the oven. Most are 180-185F IT but one bigger bone in piece is still measuring 170F on the Thermapen.

Name:	9103D435-FDE9-4CCD-BE4A-11A7C680F567.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	699118

Will check them them periodically and hopefully allow for an hour hold time, then get to chopping!

Comment

First butt chopped at 5pm!

Name:	554F92C2-0D0F-4149-8549-051E7B7EA37D.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	699163

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here