Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking pork the NC way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking pork the NC way

tNC has two methods of cooking pork in the state and I will explain both of them as even the home of pulled pork cannot agree which is best. Western style uses pork whole pork butts about 10lbs each. Eastern uses whole hogs around 150-175lbs.

Since I live I live in Western Carolina lets start there. Lexington, NC is the center of this style of BBQ. They use wood coals under the grills of there pits and may have 40-60 butts going at a time. The drippings drip down and create steam and bath the butts. They are cooked to around 200.

So we have to create something similar so I have come up with a water pan under the pork butt.

Next we need a sauce for after the meat is pulled. You don't want to be washing off the rub you put on it, do you.
    1/4 cup butte
    1/4 cup finely chopped onions
    31/2 cups cider vinegar You can use white if you like a sharper bite
    3/4 cup ketchup add more or less to taste
    1 cup packed brown sugar again more or less to taste
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/4-1 tsp cayenne powder

Melt the butter and sauté until the onions till transparent then add the rest of ingredients and bring to boil and reduce slightly.

Now the rub, pork takes to sweet rub so there is plenty of brown sugar in this one.

3 T course black pepper
    3 T dark bark brown sugar I now use Demara
    3 T good paprika
    2 T salt
    1 t cayenne

Now the coleslaw that goes on top is controversial. Most Western Carolina slaw is made with vinegar, some of the sauce, a little bit of sugar and salt and as a binder a small amount of mayonnaise. I know some of you will pooh, pooh this but that is the way it is done.

So here it is:

12 cups shredded cabbage
    6 T cider vinegar
    6 T Barbeque Sauce
    3 T sugar adjust to your taste
    1/2 cup mayonnaise as binder

Mix last 4 ingredients in large bowl and mix. Then add cabbage and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill up to a day.

Usa good sandwich bun everyone in Lexington has there favorites. Some brown them some don't.

So the pork is cool enough to cool. The butts are taken to the kitchen and pulled or put in a warmer. At about 160 some use there hands some use claws. As it is pulled it is squirted with the sauce lightly to keep it just moist not wet. You don't want to see moisture on it.

Putting it on the bun you go 1/3 to 1/2 pound pulled pork, some coleslaw and the top bun. At the tables there will 3 varieties of the sauce, the mild you use, a medium and a hot. There may also be a habanero as it goes well with pork.

Well that is it for tonight will continue tomorrow on Eastern Carolina pork.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 20, 2019, 09:22 AM.

Many thanks fer sharin up yer experience, an perspective on NC BBQ, Amigo!

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Better add the Eastern to that, some folks get really serious about that round here

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Pardon my ignorance. His post said NC, so I went with that.

Yall can work th rest out, betwixt yerselves, I reckon...eventually...
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones lol, I honestly haven't figured out where the cutoff line is for what's what around here. There's a couple places that do a blend of East and West, and a few that serve either or, and then there are the ones that look at you real funny like if you ask for a different sauce than what they have on the table. I just like food so I usually eat it however they give it to me regardless of what it's sauced with or what they call it

Thanx for this.

Comment

Ok, ok, sold. How much do ya charge & do ya have an opening this weekend. 🕶

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Jeez. Give me a break I just got home from vacation and would have to talk to the bucher. LOL Or fly out to Asheville and we will make the drive to Lexington. LOL Good eating to all where ever you live.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 19, 2019, 08:35 PM.

Thanks! I was looking for a sauce recipe different than my usual!

Comment

Nice writeup, mountainsmoker . Thanks.

Kathryn

Comment

Thank you for this. Great information.

Comment

great write up, looking forward to the eastern NC version.

Comment

mountainsmoker Good write up, and very close to what I've been doing for a lot of years. I just didn't have any mayo in my sauce as a binder. Of course, the past year or two I've been lazy and just kept gallon jugs of Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce in the fridge...

I often go bunless when eating leftovers, and love just to reheat a bowl of pulled pork, and top it with the crunchy cabbage slaw, and drizzle a little more of the NC style BBQ sauce over all of it. Of course, I pick out plenty of good bark in my own too.... Mmmmm.
              Last edited by jfmorris; June 20, 2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                I often do that also, especially when I make one and it is just the wife an me.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                throw leftovers into some mac and cheese with some diced red jalapenos!

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                Pulled pork mac & cheese sandwich - Yum!

I know thats how it is done, but I just can't put slaw on my sandwich. Great write up.

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                When I serve mine to my peeps they got slaw on and a few people always moan and others are good. They dont get to choose to have with or without
                I enjoy slaw on myself.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                holehogg, the first time I saw it was at a place called Mud Creek BBQ in Hollywood, AL - I didn't know what it was, and when I asked them to take it off, they said that was the way they served it - take it or leave it. I ate it, but I have never cared much for it.

Thanks for the tour of the State of Nooth Carolina (as my cousin from Winston-Salem calls it). If at some point you get a chance, show us some of the recipes with pictures utilizing pulled or even sliced pork. Always interested in adding to our growing pork subchannel data base !!

Comment

The slaw recipe is interesting never used BBQ sauce as a salad dressing.
                What is the measurement of the mayo, it says 1/2, assuming that's a cup.
                Sometimes I sub in Ranch dressing for mayo, gives things a bit more zing.
                Probably axe the sugar too but that's me.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am sorry I just edited it. It is a 1/2 cup.

I myself am not a fan of pulled pork slopped with sweet kc style sauce. I cook very much as above. And make a ACV sauce much as above, no ketchup or onIons though. I'll give your sauce a try.

Comment

Always looking to bump up my pulled pork. Will try this. Never like slaw, too sweet, so never payed attention to recipes. My loss, a little vinegar and less sugar WOW! Thank you!

Comment

Thanks for a new sauce and dressing to try out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here