Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoking butts in PAN (or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoking butts in PAN (or not)

The last several big cooks (4 butts for me) I have cooked in pans start to finish. Poked holes in the bottom.

I have noted a different texture and flavor profile.

Could this cause the cook to run longer or shorter?

I've cooked probly 90%+ of th butts I've ever done, in a pan...so I couldn't tell ya if it really affected th cook time of any...

Makes ya an Honorary Member of Th Soggy Bottom Boys, though... no pronounced bottom bark, unless ya use a rack to keep yer butt above th jus...less barkage, but more moist/tender, overall, in my experience, especial when ya add in that saved jus, upon pullin/servin.

Flavour has always been spot on; what textural, an flavour differences have ya noted, with yer cooks? Certainly have me curious, as to yer experiences...

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that anything like joining the BBQ Pit Boys ? đź‘Ť

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones do you then cover in foil when it gets to the stall or, do you instead, continue to leave it uncovered. Would love to keep some of the renderings to give back after I've completed the pull. Would likely. favor putting it up on a rack as I love the bark.

Thanks in advance brother.

Sweaty

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, just read further and found my answer!!

Not sure how to describe the difference, but I (and others) like it better.

Comment

You poked holes in the bottom of the pan?

If so then why do them in the pan?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I would think the cook would still be sped up by putting them in the pans and covering them. But you would loose out on all of that wonderful Au Jus! :/

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker it would be interesting to know since it isn’t air tight so to speak and you don’t have the steaming liquid braising it... either way I weep for all the lost au jus though...
        Last edited by Nate; July 23, 2019, 12:29 PM.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Very true. Again, the Au Jus loss is the real tragedy here.

I will sometimes pan them with foil over the top instead of crutch them, then pour the drippings into the pulled pork.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
        Oakgrovebacon commented
        Editing a comment
        I do them that way all the time.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. In pan when out of stall, foil top, catch dripping during cook to separate and use when pulled.

I use the pans for containment, and ease of moving on my pit.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        As do I; decided long ago that it was a better (fer me) method...
        Plus, ya reap alla that good rendered fat/jus, that woulda jus gunked up yer cookers innards, elsewise...
        Save some, can even put in some winter indoor 'smoker beans', an git incredibly better flavour than without... same fer green beans, greens, ham n bean soup, etc., usw....
        Fer me, as indispensible, easily as multi-applicable as bacon grease, only already has some badarse smoke an bark flavour to it.
        Try it out, yall!

I am guessing that if you use a pan you do not tie the butt. Correct? Do you spray the pan in advance or some other prep before the meat?

Comment

Interesting thread, never tried the pan method, sounds like a plan for a future pork butt smoke.

Comment

I cook in pans too. After 6 or 7 hours I dump the pans into a container and smoke on. It gives the juice a chance to separate so I can skim the fat.

Comment

Recently dId a couple of butts in a pan for the first time. Saved all the juices to pour back into the pulled meat. I am sold on the technique.

Comment

I have never cooked them in a pan. I know that’s the preferred method of Myron Mixon, but I always feared it would minimize the amount of smoke. I don’t know if the cooker would make a difference. I cook on a BGE. I did a Butt for my son last week which seemed to go into a stall before 140. Since I had a deadline, I followed Jim Minion’s (originator of the Minion method) contention that the meat quits taking on smoke and making a smoke ring at 140. I wrapped at 138 and ran the Pit temp from 225 up to 275. It finished in another 2 1/2 hours. I didn’t taste taste it, but my son said it had good smoke flavor and his guests loved it. Any thoughts out there?

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I do all my pork butts at 275, whether in the PBC or the WSCGC. Makes for a nice bark and a shorter cook. I don't wrap, though, just let 'em ride nekkid.

Next time I'll put them in a pan, uncovered, after 160 or so just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm always eager to learn and compare.

Kathryn

I typically start them on the rack and move into a foil pan after about 3 hours in 225-250 stickburner. Cover loosely with foil and bump the heat up to 275-300 range. 7-8 hours total gets probe tender. Always get compliments at the family dinners.

Comment

I haven't used a pan, but plan to for my next cook. For those that do, do you just toss the butt directly in the pan with no rack and then cover with foil somewhere between 140-160? For those adding the dripping back in, do you separate the fat?

Comment

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                I put directly in a dry foil pan. Covered pan with foil when it came out of stall. Removed at it of 203. Did separate fat from drippings. Put pan with butts and drippings covered in foil in 170 oven for two hours before pulling and serving. Had good bark, smoke and tenderness. Very moist. Served bbq sauce on the side.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                For a long time (years) I never used a rack, but have started usin one...
                I don't cover mine with foil...
                I don't bother separatin th fat outta th drippins...
                Do what suits yer thoughts an let us know how it goes, Brother!

I wonder about this on a pit barrel cooker. You want the drippings to hit the lit briquettes, for flavor and moisture. But I can see advantages, maybe cook for the first hour or two hanging and then move to a pan? I like the idea of using the drippings, but then I usually don't see that much of that.

Comment

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc. Put them in a foil pan (unsprayed) at 230 until out of the stall at about 170. Covered with foil and continued until 203. Removed drippings to delete fat since my brother is on a diet. Put drippimgs back in and placed pan covered with foil in oven for two hours at 170. Will try placing on cooling rack in pan and keeping the fat. Influenced by Mr. Bones and Texas Tweeter. Had plenty of bark and very moist and flavorful. Lost drippings = lost flavor/moisture.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, jlazar , for that additional information. In the PBC, because of its design, the drippings hitting the hot coals actually add flavor to the meat. But I'm eager to do a side-by-side comparison and see which way my family likes it best.

Kathryn

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc. I got a little over 4 cups of drippings/fat from 2 7-8 lb butts. Was surprised how much moisture I was losing into the water pan.

Mark V , FWIW, I like to cook to fav barkyness before adding any sort of cover or wrap, for all the meats I long-cook in the PBC. If I haven't secured the PB with ties, I move it to the grate at 160° because it begins to soften by that time and I don't want it to drop off the hooks. For me, that might be a good time to pan it, uncovered. Then let it continue there uncovered until tender.

If you want drippings into the fire to continue, you could always skewer a couple pieces of bacon or hang some sausages in a hanger basket for the latter part of the cook.

Thanks to the great replies on this topic, I'm considering the pan idea for possibly catching juices to mix in with the pulled pork, fat and all.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; July 23, 2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm lookin forward to yer results, Milady...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here