Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder (butt) cut in half cook time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder (butt) cut in half cook time

I am planning to cook a pork shoulder on my MAK 1 star, cut in half for more bark. I do not know the weight yet as I do not have it yet but I am looking for 7 - 8 lbs. Would it be unreasonable to assume this could be cooked over night, say starting at 10pm and then in a cambro once done, until pulled? I believe the cook temperature for such a cook should be about 225.

Thoughts?

I think cut in half and then foil wrapped when the bark is set, you should be able to get them done in about 9 hours, give or take. You can easily cook a butt with very good results up to at least 275 deg. F. It is a very resilient cut of meat. Personally, I don't think a long cambro hold is all that important or useful for butts, but YMMV.

Comment

I don't wrap my butts, but second Dewesq55 's suggestion that you can increase the heat to get done faster. My last few cooks have been 250-275, and even 300 towards the end of the cook, to get an 8 pound butt done in about 8-10 hours. If I cook that same size butt at 225 all the way, it takes 14-16 hours.

I don't think cutting it in half will magically shorten the cook time - its somewhat dependent on the overall thickness of the meat. It might shave an hour or so off though.

Comment

• Gunderich_1
        Gunderich_1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree totally. I have started cooking butts at 275 to 300 and they turn out great. Also doing it this way means I don't have to crutch.

I use my kettle, the last butt was almost 10 lbs. Cut in half, unwrapped the whole way, was 9 hours for the smaller half and 10 for the larger to probe tender. Temp was around 250 for cook.

Comment

Cutting in half will have little impact on cooking time. You might shave a bit but not enough to be consistent. What cutting in half does achieve is more bark, which is a good thing.

Also, as others have said, you can run hotter for pork butt. I've cooked as high as 300 and the results were good. I would shoot for a range of 250-300 and leave the vents alone unless you get outside of that range by more than a few degrees on either side.

Comment

it is more about the thickness than the weight. I would plan on 12-14 hours at 225 F.

Comment

On my pellet cooker (which cooks faster than anything I have) I do pork butts in that size range in 7-8 hours at 275*. I'm thinking of going to 300* next to cut out at least an hour. That does not include cambro time which is generally at least 1 1/2 hours. I also wrap in pink butcher paper after the bark is set and the stall is over.

Raise the heat !!!!

Comment

I typically cook 10#ers at 225 over night. As Spinaker said expect 12-14 hours, They usually take 12 hours. I plan on a total of 17 hours- 1 hour to stabilize the cooker, 12-14 for the cook and 2-4 in the cambro.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have a 9.5 pounder. I was concerned that this being my first overnight cook, that I did not over cook it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here