Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs were good, not great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs were good, not great

First cook on my new kamado Joe. Did 6 racks of ribs in a rib rack. Used the competition recipe on the main page. Ribs tasted great but not as tender as I would have liked. Does this mean I cooked them too much or not enough? The temp was pretty much 225 the whole time. Curious if maybe the rib rack contributed. Also did 2 baby back and 4 Memphis (the baby back were all sold out).
    Attached Files

They look under cooked just going off of the fact there’s no bones showing from the meat contracting and the lack of bark. Which is the competition recipe from the free side, is it last meal ribs or actually a competition recipe? Competition style can be quite different than what most people like. Next time try Meathead’s last meal ribs. The cooking time for St. Louis cut ribs will be a couple hours longer than baby backs, so if you cooked them together the St. Louis cut ribs would be under cooked.

Comment

You undercooked them. I did the same thing today, and everyone was ready for dinner, so I pulled them, but they could have handled another 30-60 minutes in my opinion. Just not quite tender, and didn’t pull off the bone as cleanly as I would have liked.

I use a rib rack if cooking more than 2 slabs of ribs in my kettle, and n a rib rack you might need to add another hour due to the reduced airflow. I also have to flip the ribs end to end about half way through the cook, as otherwise the upper edge cooks faster, due to the temp gradient in the kettle.

Baby backs take 4-5 hours for me, and spares or Saint Louis cut take 5-6 at 225.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Just to be clear, are the times you give for when using a rib rack?

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd if I use a rib rack, it’s often to fit 3 racks of ribs in a 22” kettle, and I leave a gap between them. In that event time is not increased. If I load it up with the ribs against each other, you need to add an hour or so.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, sir, for the clarification. Smoke on, brudda.

There's your answer. Meathead even mentions extending cook time if using rib racks.

Comment

I’d still eat em.

Comment

Can’t wait for your next cook. Ya know it will be mo better!

Comment

Did baby backs today in my offset. Ran it "hot" ~325°F and three racks (each cut in half to fit in the vertical smoker) finished in just over 3 hours.

i agree with the others...looks like you could’ve used more time. Meat pulling back from the bone is the tell tale sign ribs are ready (see my attached photo).
            Attached Files

Comment

Everyone pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would have grabbed a couple extra StL racks so that they all would have been the same cut to keep your cook times all the same. Can always do the others the next day, you know for science and learning your cooker. But for a first cook they don't look bad at all. And like Red Man said there is a tell tale with ribs with them pulling back from the bone is when they are close.

Did you do the bend test on them? When they start getting really close to being done use a pair of tongs and lift them. You will see the bark start to split. No split no done from what I have found using my Kamado.

Troutman did a great writeup on his rib cooks. Great read and a lot of information. I am putting the ling in below.

Of all the smoked and barbecue meats, nothing beats the deliciousness of ribs. No more is that emphasized than in the naming of this site, Amazing Ribs !!! We eat with all of our senses; obviously we smell and look at our food long before we eat it, of course we taste and have the tactile feel within our mouths, but for ribs I
              Last edited by AverageJoe; May 27, 2019, 11:43 PM. Reason: added linked cook guide

Comment

That's smokin.
                I've hit it outta the park and done some real bombs on my Keg.
                Agree they could have used more time, I've never used a rack always cook my ribs flat and I usually wrap mine in foil for at least an hour at the end of the smoke.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. Next time will be much improved!

Comment

Looks like ya made some fine ribs, an I'm certain they were delicious, so don't be discouraged...
                    Fer starters, think bout how much better than most any cooked ribs ya've ever bought...
                    Learn, practice, an it'll all fall into place...

This ain't like tryin to figger how many minutes/secs a frozen burrito will take, in yer particular microwave...(which, btw, can be very frustratin lol!)

As good as those look, reckon ya'll have it figgered out, afore long.

Ask lotsa questions, if ya feel compelled; nobody here's gonna yike at ya, or tell ya "Use th effityblankin search feature! That's what it's for!!!!", kinda horse$#¡+

Smoke On, Brother!

Comment

? I could’ve sworn Meathead said he doesn’t want to see bones sticking out (=temp too hot or over-cooked).

Oddly enough I see bones sticking out of your ribs but you said temp was maintained @ 225. If it’s true you didnt cook them long enough then what gives?

Last edited by Larry Grover; May 31, 2019, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Keep up the good work my friend, you'll get it !! After all, you're part of Amazing Ribs, can't have a failed rib cook here !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here