Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin style ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franklin style ribs

I did some Aaron Franklin style ribs yesterday. Turned out real good. Anyone else mimic his way of cooking them? The rub is a 2:1 mix of 16 mesh black pepper and kosher salt. Plus some paprika powder. I made his bbq sauce (it’s in the book), and spritzed with apple cider vinegar. It is essentially a 2-2 method (compared to the 3-2-1 method), where you smoke and spritz it for the first half, and then sauce and wrap for the remainder.

The ribs, slathered with mustard and rub applied

Click image for larger version

Name:	franklin_ribs_rub.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	683954

There was very little sugar, and I really like his version. A lot ’simpler’ than most rib recipes, and real good pork flavor. Just a bit too peppery, I think I’ll hold back on the black pepper a little next time. Overall though: real good. Sure get’s the OK from me. And who am I to argue with a living legend?

The finished product, real tasty

Click image for larger version

Name:	franklin_ribs.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	683955

Looks pretty tasty, Henrik . Thanks for doing the preliminary work for me. I've always wanted to try his method to see what the fuss is about.

Did you wrap in foil or in butcher paper?

Results: More tug than the 3-2-1 method, or still pretty much fall-off-the-bone? Or?

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I used foil, since that is what Aaron Franklin uses. I would say these were pretty much fall-off-the-bone. That wrap means they cook faster. I could've taken these 20-30 minutes earlier. The same goes for the Johnny Trigg ribs. Wrapping cuts cook time.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Thanks, Henrik

K.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually do half my ribs unwrapped and half wrapped in foil when I smoke.
      Gives variety as some like their ribs dryer, some moister
      I always forget to spritz....
      Add apple juice or cider vinnegar/honey/brown sugar to the wrapped ones. Gotta watch the brown sugar I carmelized a bunch one time needed a hammer to bust them apart.

As I remember you loved the last ribs you cookes. This cook demonstrates there is more than one way too cook great ribs.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      So true! I like these, and I like the Johnny Trigg ribs. Both are great, but cannot be compared.

Thanx Henrik. 2:1 pepper to salt would not work for my wife, so this is a no go for me.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      These were a bit peppery, next time I'll cut back a little on the pepper.

Nice looking photos and write up. I'm not a big fan of his method for pork ribs. He tries, in my opinion, to do what we do to beef back ribs here in Texas. Peppery and taken a little further than I like them. Regardless, they are some good eats. Thanks as always for your great technique posts.

Comment

Thanks for sharing , They look pretty tasty .

Comment

I wonder why Franklin leaves the membrane on SLC ribs. Or any ribs for that matter. Guess I'll have to search through the book.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Makes sense, Craigar and Steve R. But one would think that when writing a cookbook for non-commercial folks to follow, Franklin would have recommended pulling that membrane. Just saying.

K.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          He says they don’t have time at the restaurant, but do what you feel like at home.

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Confession time. I love the membrane--nice chewy taste bite. Okay that is weird but I also LOVE good liver and onions.

Thanks for the write up. I'm cooking ribs this weekend so I may give these a try for one rack and do the others my way with the brown sugar and rub. I will probably cut back on the pepper though.

Comment

Thanks for the review!

Comment

I definitely need to try this. To paraphrase the 90's country song:

Too much pepper, what's that mean?
            It's like too much money, there's no such thing
            It's like a girl too pretty with too much class
            Being too lucky, a car too fast
            No matter what they say, I've done
            I ain't never had too much pepper

Comment

• Ground Chuck
              Ground Chuck commented
              Editing a comment
              This got me dyin'!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              (With the absence of Googling) Darrel Singletary? Country was so great in the 90s.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee , 'twas a big part of my learning to not take myself so seriously. It was a valuable lesson after some real life difficult times.

I used this rub, plus a bit of cinnamon on a pork belly last year. It was awesome.

Comment

Thanks Henrik Will give this a go Sunday with one of my racks.
              You mentioned it has very little sugar? I don’t see it in your description. Can you expand on the whole rub?

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, of course. 2:1 pepper/kosher salt. Plus paprika powder for color. The only sugar is in the sauce, which he cuts (50%) with apple cider vin.

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahhh. Gotcha ya. Thanks my friend.

I have a catfish pond , the best way to pull that membrane off ribs is catfish plyers.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, you need pliers for catfish.

Nice write up. Need to try them!

Comment

Franklin loves pepper. I made his Cole slaw and WOW...unless I misread the quantity it was way too peppery (and I love pepper!). Haven’t tried his pork recipes yet, but his brisket is SPOT ON. Started following the method in his book last year an I’m making the best brisket of my life.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here