Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon Peach Glazed Double Smoked Ham on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourbon Peach Glazed Double Smoked Ham on the PBC

My wife has to work a shift at the hospital tomorrow, so we did our Easter dinner today. My in-laws came over, and my daughter’s BFF spent the night, so we had a few extra mouths to feed. I picked up an 8.6 lb bone in spiral cut ham at Costco last week, I think it was $1.89/lb. The plan was to do Susie Bulloch’s recipe but make it happen on the PBC.

My wife made the glaze, which the adults really liked but the kids weren’t wild about. It wasn’t the bourbon flavor, they just weren’t down with the peach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5F40629F-F890-4729-8FA5-8A5E56945E45.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	667481

I got the ham on at 9am and tossed in a fist sized cherry wood chunk. I went with the grate instead of hanging because I thought it’d be easier to spritz and glaze. Rebar was in to keep the temps lower, it was a tight fit at first.

Name:	5F742F0A-5E8D-4365-B1CB-AD388AB198DC.jpeg
Views:	546
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	667478

I spritzed every 30 min with a 50/50 mix of bourbon and peach juice until 11:30am. I thought I’d spritz and flip the ham each time, but after flipping once it felt too soft and floppy to risk another flip. Turned out it didn’t need it anyway - pleasant surprise. At around 12:15pm it was 130F IT and ready to be glazed.

Name:	0F2CAD65-412A-47D7-93BF-FACE74DA3096.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	667479

I applied the glaze liberally (used about 3/4 of it) with a silicon brush and got it in between the slices as much as possible. I took the rebar out and cracked the lid at this point to get higher temps and help it caramelize. Took maybe 25-30 min for it to reach 140F and I took it off around 12:45pm.

Name:	E681064F-0CEB-4BF0-8DF3-CC3F8EB3B08C.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	667480

It was really good, everyone (even the picky kids) went back for seconds and thirds. The outer ring of each slice had a lot more glaze, maybe 2-3” deep. The smokey flavor made it further in tho which was nice. I’d definitely recommend the recipe, the glaze was really tasty I particularly liked the clove flavor. Next ham I do I think I’ll try one that isn’t spiral cut - the first 2-3 pieces sorta flopped over during the cook and were overdone. I’d have a lot more confidence in hanging one that wasn’t spiral cut too. Happy Easter, AR! 🐣

Wow. I too am not big on peach. Beautiful pic that last one.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard I can take them or leave them until July when they’re in season out here in the Southern Atlantic. Then I’ll eat 2 or 3 a day for six weeks, they’re just magical.

Looks wonderful!! Back at you on the Easter greeting!!!

Comment

That looks great.

Comment

Now I’m hungry!😃

Comment

Damn, that looks good. Not a fan of the peach either, although I would try a bite of yours!

I've done a lot of hams with apples, apple glaze, etc and they always are a hit.

Comment

I am so going to copy this cook, even though my husband hates ham. He'll get smoked meatloaf instead. Thanks, FishTalesNC ! Nice-looking cook.

Kathryn

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Looks an sounds delicious, got my mouth waterin fer some of yer ham!
              Very nicely done, Amigo!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here