Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with a Pork Fresh Ham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a Pork Fresh Ham?

I bought this Berkshire 6 pounder from a local farm with the idea of wet curing it and having for a Easter ham. Upon asking them what the heck a "pork fresh ham" is they said its simply a pork shoulder, uncured.

Now I am having second thoughts about doing that to it vs smoking it and about an hour before it hits 135-140 and put a glaze on?

Has anyone else worked with this before? Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions?

Uncured, it's not gonna be that great just smoked to 140 and then glazed. You either want to take it way past that for pulled pork or sliced smoked shoulder or you want to cure it for ham and then treat it however you like.

Lotta connective tissue in there which won't break down at 135-140, without extended hold time there, that you won't be able to achieve on the smoker.

Comment

• kill2grill
      kill2grill commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a lot more helpful than the response I got from the rancher of "If it says fresh pork leg, fresh pork ham, fresh leg - it has had nothing done to it. Just a pork roast".

From what you are saying sounds like my best bet is cook it like I've done pork butt and instead of shredding it, slice it. Hmmmm...

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Shred it or slice it. Some folks like their pork shoulder sliced.

If it's indeed a shoulder piece, it's a "picnic ham", so the same treatment as pork butt (the piece next to it).

Comment

This gets so confusing.. what you have is a pork butt I believe that they put some fany name on.. pork butts are Boston butts some how and are from the from shoulder of a pig. picnic ham would be from the bottom of the front shoulder and Boston butt on the top or pork butt.. If you see part of the front leg it is picnic.

Comment

The last time I wet cured a 18lber it was a bit too salty. So this time I wanted to double check against Meatheads recipe here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ked-ham-recipe and use the suggested calculator.

For those of you that have wet cured some pork shoulder - do the results I got from the calculator look right?

I have a 6lb flat shaped, Berkshire/Duroc uncured "ham". Based on the smaller size vs Meatheads 15-20lb recipe I figured 1.5 gallons of distilled water instead of 3 gallons, prague powder should be 15.7 grams, and if I inject before submerging - 8 days should suffice for curing?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here