Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Pork Cracklins Receipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Pork Cracklins Receipe

Hello
    I have 9lb of bacon curing in the fridge. I am trying plain, Maple syrup and Molasses https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ked-bacon-home. Happy to report on which one is best if there is interest.

However, my real question is on Cracklins:
    I also have 2lb of Skin with fat and sometimes a little meat attached. I would like to try meathead's Cracklins recipe.

Cracklins, chiccharrons, and grattons are made from pork skins and rinds. Here's a better way to make them than just frying them the old fashioned way.

However, I don't want to use all the skin at one go. Is there a point in this recipe where I can freeze (say after boiling) and then come back and finish them off another day or would I be better just freezing the skins and then starting from the beginning each time I want to make these?

Your input much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Richard

Make the lot they are so good.
    Do a batch with some Bbq Sauce.
    I use KC style Bbq Sauce (per free side).

Comment

I think your idea of freezing the skins instead of making a big batch is sound.

Comment

I have made several batches of MH’s pork cracklings. I have always frozen the skin, because I usually don’t get to make them right away.
        I would freeze the skins BEFORE cooking them.

As as someone else said, make a lot of them. They are addictive!

Comment

Hello chaps... Thank you very much for your answers... I am going to make them all but not all at once... will freeze the skins before starting.... cheers....

Comment

Hello again... There is s problem with meathead's method... pretty much what I expected... this is putting Cracklins with Memphis dust on them at 400F results in burned Mephos dust due to the sugar.... This is the same issue with the crispy chicken skin recipe. ..... I dont get it,,, the book and the site are all about science and then some of the methods ignore it... ???

How does everyone else get around this problem...?

Cheers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here