Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indoor pulled pork and liquid smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor pulled pork and liquid smoke

I've mentioned a few times that the outdoor cookstand is pretty much iced up. But I still want to eat my meats. So yesterday, I did the pulled pork in the slow cooker.

I rubbed it the night before, then Sunday morning put it in the crock pot on a bed of sliced onions and garlic. I put in about a cup of chicken broth, and about 1/4 cup of liquid smoke.

I don't like liquid smoke. It tastes fake when it's added to bbq sauce, or sprayed directly onto meat.

But in this case, I cooked the butt on low for 9 hours, then removed it and dumped the liquid and the onions/garlic. And the pork had a really nice mild smoke flavor to it, not fake at all; just a hint.

Missing of course was the bark. There was none. Regardless, it is really good pulled pork!

Pulled Pork is the ultimate "saint" of BBQ meats, always forgiving.

Comment

Would be interesting to inject some if it doesn't taste bad after cooking. I've shared this before, and still haven't tried it, but it might give you some bark.

Comment

Thanks Mosca for answering a question I have had for a long time. For fear of fake flavor I just omitted liquid smoke and did without. Next time I use the slow cooker I won't be afraid to use it.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I had leftovers for lunch and dinner today, troymeister, and I didn't even think about liquid smoke while eating. I am very pleased.

I would never have thought of using 1/4 cup of LS. I would have thought it would be terribly strong. Thanks for sharing this. Gonna have to try it next time I'm forced to us a crockpot!

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          You toss most of it out when you dump the liquid, leaving just the flavor. In this case it was a 10-11lb bone in pork shoulder, and I cut it in two pieces. When I was poking around the Internet looking for ideas, the liquid smoke suggestion was 1/4 cup for 4-5lbs. I don't think the proportion matters, it looks like the meat takes the flavor it can and the rest goes down the drain.

And lest anyone think I've given over to slow cooker instead of smoker, no. All methods have their benefits and drawbacks. Each is a way to the wonder of flavor!

I have done my fair share of indoor pulled pork butts in a dutch oven overnight in a 180-200 degrees oven.
        I used silicon muffin thingies to hold water (or mixture of water and liquid smoke) for humidity.
        Seasoned the butts with smoked salt.
        I'm probably the only person that doesn't own a crock pot.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Mrs Mosca just bought it in December. I made it 60 years, and now I wish I had one 20 years ago. They're cheap as heck, just do it. It doesn't replace a Dutch oven as much as augments it. There are times you want that hot iron.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here