Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder in a faux cambro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder in a faux cambro

Hi,

last weekend we hosted my birthday party and one of the dishes was pulled pork.

As always, I get up early preheat the grill to 225F put on my 4.8 - 5 pound piece of pork on the grill(6 a.m) and wait for around 12 hours to be done at 203F.

But this time something curious happened. This time I did not use a thermometer because I needed it for other things like fish and a small piece of pastrami. At 3p.m. I though I I'll check on the temperature, I expected something between 170F - 185F but the thermometer showed 208F I got into panic mode, chased to the faux cambro, foiled my poor piece of pork put it in and I hoped, despite the too high temp everything goes well.

Two hours later, I unfoiled it pulled it and served it.

To my suprise it was not dry. It tasted like always no one complaint not even my husband (normally he gives honest feedback)

Now my question:
    Is it possible to let the meat on the grill at a very low temperature let's say 176F? Would it have the same effect as a faux cambro or has the temperature be even lower to prevent the chem. reactions?

I often use my indoor oven as a warming and holding chamber. I wrap tightly and place my meat in the oven set for 170 F and can hold for hours that way without affecting the meat. If you could replicate that arrangement on your grill then it would work too.

Comment

Pork Shoulder is so forgiving I don't think Id try it with a prime brisket Glad it worked out

Comment

Either the grill or an oven will work for holding meat. The temp should be lower than the temp of the meat, but high enough to keep the meat temp above 140*. If you still have hot coals when the meat is ready, you can wrap and leave on the grill when the temp drops well below the meat's temp or you can use your oven if that is more convenient.

Most ovens have a minimum temp around 170*, and that will work fine.

Comment

I routinely use my oven set at 170* for cambroing meat. Got away from the cooler/towel thing. In fact I shut the heat off after about 30 minutes or so and let it ramp down to 140* then slice or pull, depending on the meat cooked.

Do be careful doing it in a grill unless you monitor the heat well. If the heat remains too high you risk overcooking and having a drying effect. Too rapid a tumble you risk the meat cooling off too quickly creating a potential unsafe drop below 140*.

Best to use a faux cambro or your oven, much better control and results.

Comment

My oven will run at 150, so that's what I use. It can hold for many hours like that, and I have gone as long as 5 with good results.

Comment

Be careful - ovens are a dry heat. Too long at ANY temp and it could dry stuff out.

I plan on buying an actual cambro for the tailgate season.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Wrap the meat up tightly in foil, and you're fine in the oven.

It will work assuming you have it wrapped.

Comment

LA Pork Butt +1. Three layers of heavy duty foil and you will have no problem.

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Placing it in an oven bag before wrapping in foil or before wrapping in a towel and then into the (faux) cambro also helps hold the juice in the meat.

ok, know this is an old thread, just googled it and plan to try holding my pork butt till dinner (5-6 hours). My oven will temp at 150 deg so plan is to put butt in a deep stainless pan and cover with aluminum foil. Taking butt off at 203!

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                  Dadof3Illinois commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My recommendation would be to wrap the butt itself in a double layer of foil then pan and foil that. Heck I've had butts that are wrapped in foil sitting on the counter in a pan over 2 hours and they were still too hot to pull with bare hands.

I ended up double covering the butt is a ss pan and in the oven at 150 for 5 hours. Came out at about 165 and excellent! I’m gonna miss those smokey beach towels from the faux cambro

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here