Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help a newbie with Boston butt timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer, wine, whiskey (all the variants) shine, gin......... vehicularly utilitarian. V8? In the "right" drink.

Comment

This forum is amazing.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen! Again!

One more question for you gentlemen since you've all been so awesome. To mop, or not to mop? I understand that the evaporation will extend the stall... is it worth it? I'll be using a mustard base and Memphis Dust for my rub, and have made batches of Meathead's Columbia Gold and Lexington Dip sauces.

I'm leaning towards just skipping the mop to try and follow the KISS principle.

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
      Beer, wine, whiskey (all the variants) shine, gin......... vehicularly utilitarian. V8? In the "right" drink.
      Anyone ever tried sour beers with BBQ? I've got a couple bottles of well cellared Rodenbach, and I think the acetobacter in Flanders Red Ales would work really well with Q.

Comment

T&P, I don't normally mop. First, let guests season to their liking, and for this one.....KISS. You have a lot on your platter. Should 't you be lighting up about now???
        U

Shhhhh, but I have, in fact, quietly put beer in my drip pan (but it might be an excuse to put the rest in my mouth). Better to save that beer for your mouth, at the appropriate time. There is a whole thread on this, as I recall.

Comment

No to the mop. Cook at 225F, don't wrap, and let the meat cook all the way to 203F.

Comment

So the food has been on for just under six hours. Lessons learned thus far:

1) The unseasonable warm "winter" we've had the last month in Albuquerque has completely spoiled me. Today is not fun. Constant 25-30 mph wind and 36° outside. And it was 73° two days ago.

2) I am burning through an insane amount of charcoal. With the Smokenator and CyberQ I can usually not muck with the pit for about four hours. I'm feeding the beast every 90 minutes or so. Getting the pit in a sheltered area was key.

3) If I had a child I would sell them on Craigslist and use the money to buy an insulated cabinet smoker.

4) Meat is at 150° or so, and I haven't stalled yet it appears. Still waiting.

Comment

Good lessons, all! Sounds like you are well on your way! The big change in weather does kin of hit hard, but you adjust quickly. We are in the thirties now, and I am about ready to put on some shorts. What time are you looking to serve?

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
                What time are you looking to serve?
                I have 8.5 hours or so until the time I told people, so I think (hope?) I'll be just fine.

Comment

I would think so. If you get tight on time, wrapping might accelerate it for you, and let the temp go up. Hope you'll keep us posted, and remember, it didn't happen if you don't have pics!

Comment

• TriedAndProven
                    TriedAndProven commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Been taking pictures since 4:00 AM!

WTG, TAP!

Comment

TnP how about a few of those pics while we wait?

Comment

• TriedAndProven
                      TriedAndProven commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your wish is my command!

First pic is from about 4:30 AM. Second picture is about four hours or so in. Didn't take pics the last time I added charcoal, but I will in 30 minutes or so!

Thanks for all the support, guys. I feel like this would have been way harder without this forum.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here we go, most recent. I'm gonna foil it in an hour I think.

Comment

SAWEEEEETTTTT!

I think it is looking GREAT! Can't wait for the next pic!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here