Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

slow cooker pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow cooker pulled pork

I'm not posting this under the comments on the slow cooker pulled pork page because I will not use disqus ever. The posted recipe made moist slow cooker pulled pork and it was similar to results I've had from other recipes. Slow cooker pulled pork produces an okay result but the results are best used in another recipe such as a pulled pork taco.
    It was a first for me to use apples, apple juice or mayonnaise in a bbq related recipe; I won't use them again: I found no advantage. I don't use or own liquid smoke (but it can only help in a slow cooker). I used Fat Matt's bbq sauce (Atlanta) and pork rub from a local chef (Seattle). I rarely use bbq sauce. I'm glad that I tried this slow cooker pulled pork recipe once.
    I can't recall the last 7 lb pork shoulder that I cooked because they take took long to bbq but in a slow cooker it's set and forget. For bbq shredded pork, I use cushion meat (restaurant supply stores) or Hormel's smaller chunks of pork shoulder that I find at smaller, neighborhood grocers.
    Slow cookers are well covered in ATK's book, Slow Cooker Revolution.

I do Instant Pot pulled pork, and it is delicious. Pressure cooked, it takes half the time. Not quite as good as outside on the smoker, but still dang good! In fact, mixing some of the smoker pork with the Instant Pot pork makes for super moist and juicy meal, and you get the smoke flavor and bark as well.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that idea. We just got the Instant Pot and we haven't done shoulder in it yet, but I have some smoked pulled pork in the freezer; I am going to make some IP pork to stretch the smoked pork. Genius!!!

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to admit I’m with you on this. IP pulled pork is moist and delicious. When I make some up for storing away I do several on the smoker and several in the IP and mix them together for packing and freezing.

Some folks scoff at it here but hey, I got no problem pulling out the old Crock Pot or pressure cooker and cooking a butt or a chuckie. Throw in some veggies and some stock and let 'er rip. Mixing in some smoked, even better !! Come home on a cloudy, cold winter's day, get you some crusty bread and heaven commences to occur !!! Screw the haters if they don't like it

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      For lunch today, I polished off the last of the crock pot Mississippi pot roast (no idea what it has to do with Mississippi, and we use Italian dressing mix instead of ranch) from last weekend. Besides smoking and pulling, that has to be one of the highest and best uses for chuckies.
      Last edited by Steve R.; March 5, 2019, 02:14 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here