Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saw a frozen pork loin in half with a wood saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a frozen pork loin in half with a wood saw?

I bought a big pork loin from Costco thinking I would cook it rotisserie style. But I neglected to cut in it in half before freezing it. I don't want to cook the whole thing and I don't want to thaw it all then re-freeze half of it. Should I use an existing saw to cut it in half? Maybe I should go but a brand new saw? What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't use a wood saw, I'd use a hack saw. Cleaner cut and won't tear up the loin as much. And of course, make sure it super clean before cutting. If you get a new saw or blade make sure the oils are cleaned off before using it.

Quick search for meat saw found this: https://www.amazon.com/Weston-Butche...ords=meat+saws

Looks like a hack saw to me. Don't know if there's anything different in the steel of the blade or tooth count, or if anything is done to make sure its food safe or not, compared to a hardware store buy.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      according to one of the woodworking forums I found, hacksaws have a finer tooth pattern than a meat saw, and the meat saw has a stainless blade.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call because I can use a brand new blade that I can clean before using. I'm not going to lie I almost considered throwing it on my chop saw since it would cut through it like butter but ruled that out.

Wash your hand saw as you would a real meat saw. Cut the meat! Wash you hand saw again, dry, and store. A saw is a saw. Even if you purchase a new saw, you will still need to wash it before you using it. Basically, no difference except maybe a little rust. Rust is good for you.

Comment

I'm with NapMaster , use whatever you have handy (maybe not the Hattori Hanzo Japanese finish saw), just clean before/after. A hacksaw would make a cleaner cut and you might dull a crosscut saw a little so consider that. Or, if you have a butcher shop nearby ask them to cut it for you (grab a couple of steaks while you're at it).

Comment

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Since he is working on a pork loin, he is just cutting ice. Shouldn't dull anything. If the ice dulls anything you use, throw that saw in the trash.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        NapMaster I still wouldn't drag one of my good saws through it. BTW, your handle encouraged me to do just that this afternoon, thanks!

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike Naps for all!!

As others have said, I think the hacksaw would be the way to go. A chainsaw would be more awesome, though.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Now we're talking.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        You beat me to it! A Samurai sword would be even better. An ax would be pretty cool too.

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        I wondered when someone would at least mention the chainsaw. They have an automatic oiler so you wouldn't have to oil the CI pan or grates on the grill. I VOTE CHAINSAW! Maybe run it in hot soapy water for a few seconds before and after the cut.

Judo chop!

Comment

Well, there you go and yes, my hack saw is ridiculously rusty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_VuHzoMivzh403LcEmNmsXH1XcxggidLj39yAp9PM5k-xukl95d6xv9COG2l1tKRi5h-4P6QYThIFG_FhB9NNsXN3FfYnpLJzLGK83R5QbANT2Dv4EfCQXKTo7n35IC-fBTBe8hswZedjwkU8wdrhvPOG0S3dK8CBebwxnyBElVDEo0E3T-J3faNSRSEegPlgF9jmK9mFK75a7JQETnk260sUkhRiELzdDQXXwhH0LGkYNO4BWkI0jGt5ow9y47
Views:	138
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	641884

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
          Oakgrovebacon commented
          Editing a comment
          But it worked! Mission accomplished

Nice!

Comment

I was gonna say, man up but it looks like you did !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here