Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with German Pork Knuckle (Schweinshaxe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with German Pork Knuckle (Schweinshaxe)

Looking for some guidance from AR gurus.

Last summer, we spent some time in Bavaria and had the pleasure of eating schweinshaxe (pork knuckle) a few times. It was crispy on the outside and juicy and flavorful on the inside. I looked like this...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pork-Hock-Schweinshaxe-Plated-Cravings-7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	640250

I wanted to see if I could make this at home.

You start with skin on ham hock, which was much harder to find than I thought. Most places remove the skin, brine it, smoke it, or sell it fully cooked. I finally found a full service butcher ~1 hour away who said they could cut me my hock hocks (kudos to Friendly Nick's Butcher in Fort Collins, CO). I bought 4 ham hocks with skin on and decided to cook 1 at a time to experiment (price was $4/lb so I didn't feel too bad about experimenting- unlike a prime rib roast!). They look like...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0152.JPEG Views:	1 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	640254

The key is getting the crispy skin (think pork crackling) on the outside, but juicy, tender, and flavorful pork on the inside. This has proved harder than I thought. There are many websites you can find that suggest you boil then roast (or broil), sous vide then roast, rotisserie, just roast, deep dry, etc. None of them break it down scientifically or try different methods to see what works best.

I have done 2 of the hocks so far with less than stellar results. The first time I sous vided at 165° for ~20 hours, scored the skin, then roasted in the oven at 500° for ~1 hour. Skin was more hard than crispy and still had a lot gelatinous fat right underneath; and meat was juicy, but not very flavorful...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0156.JPG Views:	2 Size:	3.27 MB ID:	640251

The second time, I rotisseried it on my Lynx, scoring the skin and then rubbing oil on it. This turned out worse as the outside started to burn before then inside was done. I took it off the stick when the meat was ~180-185°, and although it looked decent, the meat was tough and the skin was more burnt and hard than crispy. I ended up throwing it out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0168.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	640252

Instead of randomly trying something else for the next hock, I want to take a more systematic approach. Here are my thoughts, observations, and questions so far and would love some feedback...
    1. I'm pretty sure this cut of pork needs to be cooked to ~195-205° like a pork shoulder to break down the fat and be tender. This sound right?

2. There is a thick layer of fat right under the skin that I am struggling with. I'm not sure how to properly prepare the skin so it will crisp up without burning and so that I melt most of the fat layer just under the skin. I have salted the skin overnight to remove moisture, scored the skin, and even oiled the skin, before roasting in oven or putting on the rotisserie; but I am not getting the pork crackling look and taste I had in Bavaria.

3. After the rotisserie bomb, I am thinking this is a 2 step cooking technique- first to cook the meat, then crisp up the skin. I also think the preparation (brining, seasoning/rub, preparing the skin (dry it out? score it?, etc.) will make a lot of difference. Some questions I have are...
    - How would you prep this- the skin and meat?
    - What method would you use to cook the meat- what temp and how long (and why if you want to add)?
    - What method to use to crisp up the skin? (need to make sure I don't dry out the meat while doing this).

I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards from snowy Colorado!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here