Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spousal Unit & Wagyu Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spousal Unit & Wagyu Meat

So I have a question that maybe some of you have dealt with in the past. Since my wife's birthday, Valentines Day and our Anniversary where soon to be here I thought I would introduce my wife to better grade of protein starting off with SRF Wagyu hamburger patties. Then when the events mentioned arrive cook up a nice SRF Wagyu Cowboy Steak Rib Eye. Now for the question. We had the SRF burger one night and she just didn't like it so I decided not to invest in the Cowboy Rib Eye thinking she just wasn't fully aware of the grade this meat is compared to the garbage found in grocery stores these days and over time can help her understand the higher quality. Well yesterday we where shopping a local grocer and wandered by the meat case. Low and behold they had some off brand Cowboy Rib Eyes so I pointed them out and explained the marbling and grade differences. Her answer was I just don't like Wagyu meat. So the question....How the heck can you explain that yes the flavor profile will be different than what you are used to but LIKE IT!!! Maybe I was a little harsh but when she said she didn't like it, my response was thats because you are so used to the crap we normally get. Dare to be bold and adapt to and accept changes that are offered.
    Now on the selfish side. Since she doesn't want to try it that kind of leaves me without the chance as there is no way I could eat one of those 2" plus heavy cuts of beef. I don't care for reheated beef steak so it would be either she has some or the rest goes to the family dog for a treat. Sinful thought I know.
    OK, what to do now????

Your aversion to reheated steak really is no different than her arguement to not liking Wagyu.... in fact your aversion to reheated steak may be less logical since it is likely that the reheated Wagyu will probably still be better than the "Garbage found in grocery stores" steak you mentioned....

so one of you need to get past your preference or accept that you can’t cowboy up and eat one yourself..... (maybe you should think if it like one of those man vs good things).... or just get a smaller Wagyu steak...

Look on the bright side... you only have to buy Wagyu for one and can buy less expensive (like us mere mortals eat) for the other.... a lot easier in your wallet!

Comment

Interesting response. Thanks

Comment

Nate put it well. Another thought would be baby steps. Instead of SRF Wagyu maybe try up grading implentingly, rather then shooting for a homerun go for a single or a double and see how the response to the better meat is with out a grand announcement. Oh, and tell her "yeah she was right" and smile.

Comment

You might wait a while, cook regular ribeyes for a while, then spring a Wagyu on her without advanced notice. Get her normal response. If it is what you think is a WOW response go ahead and spring the "Oh, and by the way....." otherwise, "Don't tell me no lies and keep yo hands to yo self"

Decepetion in a marriage, if well intended and from the heart and not for selfish reasons, can be a good thing!
          Last edited by Lock Stock and Barrel; February 17, 2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking something similar along the lines of "what she don't know won’t hurt her"

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            True alla dat, plus nice GA Satellites reference!

The solution is simple. Buy the steak, the bigger the better. Pack up steak and wife, fuel up vehicle and set out on an eight hour drive, which will bring you to my house. We can cook the steak with live fire using apple wood. I will generously sacrifice having my usual fare to help you eat your steak. Your wife can have some of our homegrown pork or some local grass fed beef. Plan a full week so you can take your wife to the local tourist traps, Leavenworth, the Methow Valley, Penticton, and bring your fishing gear to hit the lakes and rivers. Now that I think about it, you might want to bring two steaks, my wife can help you eat one and I'll manage the other and then the dogs will each get a bone.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll be right over! 🕶

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            If we just have Burgers we will have more time to go Fishin’ and save money for Beverages.

• DeusDingo
            DeusDingo commented
            Editing a comment
            i think we need a meat-up at your place this summer!

I failed to mention the other option.... A new spousal unit..... although you may not be able to afford the Wagyu after you get rid of the current one.

Comment

I wonder if it was the taste or the texture that has her object to the Wagyu hamburger. The ones we have had definitely have a softer mouth feel which was noticeable, and commented on by members of the family. A different cut of meat would be much firmer and might be acceptable.
            We also don’t usually reheat leftover steak, but we definitely don’t give them to the dogs. There is a lot of great meals you can make with leftover sliced steak.

Comment

Originally posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
              The solution is simple. Buy the steak, the bigger the better. Pack up steak and wife, fuel up vehicle and set out on an eight hour drive, which will bring you to my house. We can cook the steak with live fire using apple wood. I will generously sacrifice having my usual fare to help you eat your steak. Your wife can have some of our homegrown pork or some local grass fed beef. Plan a full week so you can take your wife to the local tourist traps, Leavenworth, the Methow Valley, Penticton, and bring your fishing gear to hit the lakes and rivers. Now that I think about it, you might want to bring two steaks, my wife can help you eat one and I'll manage the other and then the dogs will each get a bone.
              Now thats a plan I can almost go with LOL. Now when it comes to visiting your piece of heaven on earth that is tempting. We've been to Leavenworth and really enjoyed our short stay there. The other locations I don't recall visiting but if anything like Leavenworth it would be worth the drive.
              I do appreciate all the responses as they where all meant with helpful suggestions and a dose of humor on the side. I think I'll go find a Cowboy but graded at prime as I do know she likes that grade of beef. Maybe get a different cut in wagyu than the cowboy, perhaps in a tenderloin and wrap it in bacon to balance the flavor profile a little. The next thing I gotsta get a handle on is it is not all about me. Probably the best place to start.

Comment

I don’t usually stick my 2 cents in but here you go. Maybe it is the different flavor of the grass fed? I have not tried SRF, or any wagyu but I had one Locally raised grass fed Brisket, and I was not thrilled with the flavor. ( I need to try it again).If she doesn’t like it buy one for you, and get her what she wants. When my wife goes to the store which is 90% of the time I eat what she cooks or cook what she buys. When I buy Steaks for two I buy Ribeye for me, and Filet for her. When I buy Steaks for a Crowd I Get Ribeye, Filet , NY Strip, And usually add a lower end cut just to give people a chance to try new things. My wife likes sirloin and I don’t but I have learned to cook it and enjoy it for her. 29 Years Married and we certainly don’t agree to everything.

Comment

How 'bout reheating your t'hawk via sous vide? That way you could easily control the temp.

Comment

First: SRF burgers aren’t all that great, IMO.

Now that that is out of the way, just get the stuff and cook it up without explanation. But don’t get a $150 tomahawk. Get a couple 6oz sirloins, or 8oz filets. It might be the Wagyu she doesn’t like, or it might be the discussion surrounding the Wagyu that she doesn’t like. Only one way to find out.

Comment

With out reading any of the other replies I’m going to say you sir are a lucky man I for one have no interest wague meat I’m a choice maybe prime once in A while. Look at the money you will save you order your steak and make her choice steak and just smile and say yes Dear

Comment

I worked in a butcher shop many years ago. We developed a relationship with a local small farm producing grass fed beef. The idea was to sell sides. Big mistake. We had many unhappy customers who just didn't like the flavor. There's a lot of subjectivity in taste.

Comment

My opinion is that wagyu burgers aren’t very good and I wouldn’t choose one over a regular burger. It’s definitely softer and mushier than a regular burger and all the benefits of the marbling is lost. But I would spend the money on a good wagyu steak but i know some people that find it too rich. So I would try to convince her not to draw a conclusion from the burger. If she is a fan of prime steak and especially cuts like ribeyes and skirt steaks, then I would think she would like a wagyu steak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here