Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biscuits and Debris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biscuits and Debris

Tonight I'm having breakfast for dinner. Anyone ever make this? For the biscuits I used this recipe: http://www.lodgemfg.com/recipe/brigg...rmilk-biscuits

I did not have self rising flour so I made my own: 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt. My baking powder appears to be getting old, the biscuits did not rise as much as normal. I did not fold the dough 7 times as the times I've done this it seems to overwork the dough, 4-5 times seems about right. I used 3/4 butter and 1/4 home-rendered leaf lard in the dough and in the Dutch oven. I only heated the Dutch oven enough to melt the lard and butter - it was not hot. With the burning hot lid, the biscuits seem to brown evenly top and bottom this way.

Cooked in a 5 qt. Dutch oven in my stove. I preheat the oven and Dutch oven lid as hot as it will go (about 550*) - that way the tops of the biscuits brown at about the same time that the bottoms brown.

For the gravy, standard Southern cream gravy, a little heavy on the black pepper. I also add chicken stock to give it a little richness.

Leftover pulled pork: I was visiting a college buddy last month and we smoked a 10lb pork butt for 11 hours over red oak and hickory in his big offset smoker along with a 17lb brisket (which cooked about 20 hours) - both turned out great. Pork butt was injected with a brine the night before and rubbed with Salt Lick Dry Rub. The brisket was rubbed with this too. https://saltlickbbq.com/ Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2773.JPG Views:	1 Size:	735.2 KB ID:	636949

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2774.JPG Views:	1 Size:	830.4 KB ID:	636950
    Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2775.JPG Views:	1 Size:	663.9 KB ID:	636951

Last edited by 58limited; February 16, 2019, 06:53 PM.

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

Yum!!!

Comment

That looks like my kind of grub. Nice photos.

Comment

Everything was motoring along til’ the gravy, over the top. That’s a great anytime meal!

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Science has yet to prove that there is such a thing as 'too much gravy'

Everything looks so good. When I hear of or see dutch oven biscuits I am always reminded of the novel "Lonesome Dove" and one of the main characters, Gus McCrae, who always made biscuits in his dutch oven every morning.

”We don’t rent pigs.”

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            "a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"

Whenever I make Dutch oven biscuits I always remember the ones from the Lonesome Dove miniseries.

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            BEST Western Series ever made.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here