Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About That Bacon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About That Bacon....

I've been following MH's bacon recipe for a while with great results! Is there any value, or danger, in increasing the time in the cure? For example, would there be any increase in the flavoring of say maple or apple cider if the cure time were longer? Still short on the result I want with apple cider.

Getting ready to freeze some smoked just a week ago. Should it be wrapped in plastic wrap before placing it in the freezer bag?

I imagine that apple cider or sugar really does not penetrate the meat much, no matter how long the cure time, it would be more a surface treatment I believe. The only thing that penetrates throughout the meat is salt and nitrate.

Yes, you want to avoid freezer burn or frost build up, so if you don't have a vacuum sealer, I would wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil before then placing in the freezer bags. One of the best purchases I made in recent years was a Food Saver, as it lets me freeze smoked meats with zero freezer burn, for long periods of time in my deep freeze.

Comment

You can go about 20% longer, if you wish. But most of the cure, other than the PP#1 and the salt are surface treatments. Yes, there is a risk in taking the cure longer than is suggested. Meathead mentions this in his article on the Science of Curing Meats Safely. (Which everyone should read and understand before attempting to cure anything at home.)

"The calculator will tell you how long to leave the meat in the cure. You can go 25% longer than the minimum time if you wish, but don't push it any more. The longer it is in the cure the greater the chance of contamination. Don't go shorter or you may have uncured meat in the center."

Please do not try to go away from the recommendations Meathead and Dr. Blonder have set out for curing.

Comment

As far as the freezer goes I slice up and portion wrapping each portion in wax paper, then wrapping in aluminum foil, and finally into a ziplock freezer bag. Never had any freezer burn and have had meat in freezer for months.

Comment

You have leftover bacon?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            When does that happen.....ever?

• smokinsteve
            smokinsteve commented
            Editing a comment
            It was a 9lb slab. Gave some to a couple of friends and have about 3lbs remaining. Oh, it's just the wife and me.

I am working on 2 top secret bacon recipes using Meatheads recipe .....it's going be a jaw dropper!!! Probably be a month or so before I can clear enough time to do it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here