Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly

Let me start this off with that my first pork belly was done Steve Raichlen style and for a meal - I found it to be rech. It was like bacon on crack. So that's how I treated it and used in other recipes. A week or so ago I picked up a 8lb pork belly from Costco and decide to cook it two ways. Original SR style up to 160 degrees and then do Meathead's basic bacon recipe to 150 degrees.

Here's where it get's weird. It has a chew on BOTH of them. And it wasn't as addictive. So my question to you fine folks - have you found not all pork belly is the same? This Costco pork belly seems closer to ham than that super rich first two experiences with pork belly.

It depends on where the belly is cut. Further back or closer to the ribs. Make sure you get to know a butcher if possible.

Also: there's a big difference between pork and pork. Was it the same store, and was it the same breed of pigs?

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      My thoughts exactly. Pig anatomy 101 Many factors at play.

Costco purchase vs original purchase from Whole Foods, and no idea on breed of pig. It def. wasn't Duroc!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Most Costco meat is commodity sourced. You sometimes get great results other times not. Whole Foods tends to be more picky, at least that's my experience here.

IMO you didn’t go high enough on the IT? I’ve been cooking it at 275 until 180+ IT. Then put it the freezer for an hour, remove, slice, glaze then grill hot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here