Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!!

I am cooking ribs for the game using a pit viper fan fan to control temp. Well the temp probe fell out of the cooker and was reading 30* with the fan blowing full blast. I saw smoke billowing out of the chimney. I ran over and temp was 400*. Ribs were at 400* for almost an hour.

I dumped all coals in the snow and opened doors to bring temp down. I then re-lit and have stabilized at 225* again. Ribs cooked hot and fast for an hour. I cut off the ends on a couple of racks that got crisped.

Recovery plan is to wrap them with apple juice to get back some moisture. Anything else I should do?

What a bummer.

Don’t panic. Ribs can handle it most of the time. Just monitor it and do the bend test or toothpick test. Should be okay and finished earlier that you think

Comment

Yeah, you should be fine. You just pushed up your done time! Not a big deal.

Comment

Thanks I was in full panic mode!

Comment

On a side note I did one rack with Crucible Ghost pepper rub. Interested to see how that goes.

Comment

It’s a good thing you caught it when you did. You should be just fine.

Comment

Mmmm. Ribs.

Comment

Yep they should be able to handle it but you already lost some by having to trim off the ends that got burnt. Sorry to say but you have to keep an eye on the set it and forget it electronics because stuff seems to happen anyhow. Good thing you caught it when you did much longer and you would have been starting over with a new batch of ribs.
                I have some of that Ghost Crucible rub. It's Waaaaayyy to hot for me not to cut it with something else. Your mouth is only going to recognize heat the ribs are just a way of delivering it!

Comment

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are right it was a stupid mistake. I'm not a hot sauce/spice guy but some of my friends like to turn it up a notch...lol. We'll see how they like these.

The wibs ‘ll be ok. Don’t worry, be happy.

Comment

Smoke on lesson learned

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here