Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mumbo Jumbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mumbo Jumbo

I noted the entry on Mumbo Sauce here on the site and was intrigued - so I made up a batch to try on some spares I had. I trimmed the rack and lightly coated them with sesame oil. Then I rubbed them with a 5 spice rub. and prepped them for the PBC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0048 (2).JPG
Views:	160
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	62824

About a half hour before they were ready, I glazed them with a little honey and the mumbo sauce. When they came off, they were fabulous. I would definitely do this again. Total cook time was around 6 hours. I used a single oak chunk for a smoke source. They were wonderfully tender with just enough tug. The mumbo sauce brought a slightly exotic component to the party that was a nice change of pace from a more traditional sauce. Kudos to Meathead and the board for turning me on to this one. I'm adding it to my growing bag of tricks.

Name:	DSC_0643.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	62825

Looks awesome!

Comment

5 Spice? As in Chinese 5 Spice? I should have my Mortar and Pestle tomorrow. Then I can get jiggy with my 5 Spice for my Chinese ribs, and maybe check this out too.

Great pictures!!!

Comment

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        That was going to be my question, Chinese 5 Spice? Jarod what does a Mortar and Pestle have to do with 5 Spice? Are you going to make your own?

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Guy. The 5 spice here has Ginger in it, which me-no-likey. Anything that calls for Ginger I replace with Allspice, which me-very-much-likey. Some things I can only get the peppercorns, like that Szechuan, or whatever that stuff is. I already have whole cloves from my beef corning/curing.

SWEET! Looks great!

Comment

Yep. Salt, Chinese 5 Spice, a little sugar and some anise seed and cracked black pepper. Do let me know how it goes for you and if you liked it as much as I did.

Comment

Scorch, that does look great what internal tip did you get them too?

Comment

• scorched_porch
            scorched_porch commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny, it was a tough read even with the thermapen. It read 160+- but the bend test overruled the temp and I pulled them. They were perfect.

Yup, Mumbo sauce is my go to with ribs. It's typically served on chicken wings here, but I got a place down the street that'll sell bottles of their good stuff. Every time I throw ribs on, I make the walk to get a new bottle.

Comment

5 Spice and pig, match made in food heaven

Comment

Love Five spice. Really glad I saw this, I'm gonna have to add that to the growing "things to try list"

Comment

Mumbo Sauce - The gift that keeps on giving. I just did a riff off of sweet and sour chicken on the grill with it... It was a hit.

Name:	DSC_0054.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	64820

Name:	DSC_0060.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	64821

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here