Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Input From You For New Posting On How To Cook Whole Hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Input From You For New Posting On How To Cook Whole Hog

Amazingribs forum family! I am in need of your expert assistance!

I am going to be posting a series of 7 recipes on my blog next week about different whole hog recipes from around the world in honor of the Chinese New Year of the Pig.

Since this is by far the most challenging form of cooking in the barbeque world, I wanted to educate my readers about how to do this properly before I post a single recipe.

Needless to say, I've made it VERY clear they should be joining the forums here if they are serious about tackling this, as I have learned so much from all of you!

However, before I post what I've written, I'd REALLY value all of your expert opinion on the post and recommendations! Am I forgetting anything? Are any of my recommendations off? Please help me spread the BBQ gospel and get some new members here on amazingribs!

Many thanks in advance - Jonathan

--
    HOW TO BECOME A WHOLE PIG BBQ GOD – TFD-STYLE!

BBQ God Image Used Under Creative Commons License From youtube.com

My Citizens, I am proud to kick off the week of "Divine Swine" in honor of Chinese New Year! However, unlike most of my recipes where we dive straight into the history and specifics, it will be necessary to first have a discussion of how to properly make roast pig - it is an extremely involved process to do this right, and it is imperative you understand the fundamentals before you DARE approach whole animal cookery.

With my help, never fear - you will become a BBQ GOD by the time you finish this post and assiduously follow its commandments!

First off - safety first! Please read this article before doing anything else!

Next, I strongly encourage you to partake of the wisdom of one of the great guiding lights of BBQ - please visit the awesome site amazingribs.com and read this article. Only parts of it are valid for this recipe and others I'm sharing, but it's still a crash course on how to do this properly. I'll excerpt a few choice parts, but if you are bold enough to tackle whole hog cooking, you should join the community there - they are beyond knowledgeable and very friendly.

Let me be clear - this is by no means an inexpensive method of cooking - you need specialized equipment and the pig isn't cheap. However, your investment in the right equipment means you can make this on a regular basis, and if you have a few dozen people over, have them chip in for the pig cost - they should feel honored and blessed to contribute to this holy cause! Invite them to join the cult of BBQ, they'll thank you.

First - the matter of pit vs. specialized cookers. There is no right or wrong answer here, though the pit is definitely the cheaper route. This article details how to make one in your backyard using cinderblocks. For this option, you'll need a motorized rotisserie spit to do the pork justice - this brand and model is my strong favorite.

Or, if you're less the DIY type, I strongly recommend buying an integrated charcoal grill / rotisserie. Don't be fooled by cheap imitators, you need one with at least a 40W motor and solid construction. I am very partial to this model as it is not too expensive and high-quality.

Once you've decided whether to create a do-it-yourself BBQ pit with a separate rotisserie or buy a complete piece of equipment and the right accessories, you'll need to get a piglet. Depending on how many you're feeding and/or the recipe, it can range in size from a tiny 10 pounds to a behemoth 100 pounds! You should be able to order one of the apropos size from your local butcher - I often order mine from a Chinese market where the price is cheaper if it's a big pig, or if I'm feeling "high on the hog" I'll order an heirloom piglet from my butcher or a rancher friend. These are always a better choice!

The butcher is your absolute friend here - don't make extra work for yourself, have the butcher clean the pig for you as opposed to you doing it yourself. I love the way the amazingribs.com author tells his butcher to prepare it - I'll edit it slightly and also give you his original order. If you are stuffing the pig, order it this way:

"I want a whole dressed hog about X pounds delivered, fresh killed within a week of delivery, never frozen, skin on, hair scalded off, head, ears, trotters, tail on, all glands removed and pleura/silverskin all removed. Please crack the hip joints. Please remove the spinal cord. I reserve the right to reject it if it looks or smells bad."

If it's going to cook unstuffed, order it the way amazingribs prefers it (with a few minor tweaks I added):

"I want a whole dressed hog about X pounds delivered, fresh killed within a week of delivery, never frozen, skin on, hair scalded off, head, ears, trotters, tail on, all glands removed and pleura/silverskin all removed. Please cut through the backbone and breastbone and crack the hip joints so it will lie flat. Please remove the spinal cord. Save me the liver, kidneys, tongue, and heart, on the side please. I reserve the right to reject it if it looks or smells bad."

One area where noobs typically get crucified is forgetting how to MOVE the pig - not just from the butcher to your place of cooking, but also taking a roaring-hot, super-slippery beast from pit to table after (CAREFULLY) removing it from the spit. The best solution is - and bear with me on this one - a body bag. Yes - I said a body bag. It has handles, prevents any fluids from dripping out and on you and is more than big enough to hold even the largest hog. I like this particular brand and style.

You can also safely store the pig in the bag with large quantities of ice bags surrounding it until you're ready to cook, in case you need to hold the pig at your place overnight before cooking. You're much better off getting the pig very early in the morning and cooking same day, but this does offer you another option if that's not feasible.

When cooking the pig, it's all too easy to see your perfectly-bronzed pig go from ideal to burnt in the space of a few minutes before it's totally cooked. Foil is your friend - if the ears and snout start to burn before the rest of the body, wrap them in foil. If the whole body starts to burn, wrap it ALL in foil!

As to the cooking fuel - some swear by glowing hardwood embers and I have to agree, it can't be beat! However, these are finicky, spark a lot and require constant tending to maintain the proper temperature of 225-250 degrees F throughout the cooking process. If you're bold and experienced, by all means go this route. For sanity and convenience, I'd instead recommend charcoal - this is my go-to brand for this type of cooking in an integrated cooker.

For a cinder block pit, you'll probably need a lot more charcoal - as such, go with a good-quality but not too expensive brand.

As to accessories - they are myriad. First, you'll need a strong trussing needle to sew up the pig after you've stuffed it (if the recipe calls for that) - don't even dare attempt it with a regular needle, it just won't work. This is a good choice. A good digital thermometer is absolutely essential, ideally one that has dual probes that can check the temperature of both the meat and the surrounding ambient heat of the grill - this is a good choice also.

BBQ gloves that offer good hand and lower arm protection are vital - I like these, personally.

If you do burn yourself, get immediate medical attention - this kit is a good place to start.

You'll need a shovel or two to help move the coals into the pit or BBQ and to move them around to maintain proper heat control. This is my go-to.

To baste the pig, you'll need a mop. Yes - a mop, preferably one with an adjustable handle so you an avoid heat and flames. This one is especially designed for the task.

Lastly, once you are done, be sure to clean up thoroughly - this is the best grill cleaner spray I know of and this is a great grill cleaning brush.

...Whew!...

Now - prepare yourself for our first recipe, one from the mighty country of the Philippines!

Battle on - The Generalissimo
    Last edited by Jhirshon; January 25, 2019, 04:09 PM.

I've not done whole hog, but here's what Meathead advises:

How to build a barbecue pit for cooking a whole hog from concrete block (cinder block), including illustrated plans with dimensions and various designs

and

Learn how to cook a whole hog the way the pros do it. Our whole hog or suckling pig smoking guide discusses everything from shopping to prepping and serving in our extensive whole hog recipe.

Thanks for sharing so many recipes here.

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir and my pleasure! Great tips!

I wish my brother was still with us because his business was cooking whole hogs for his restaurants and catering. I would have put you in touch with him for advice from someone who did it almost everyday. The only thing I can contribute from watching and helping him a few times is that the coals need to be banked under the shoulders and rump for proper heat distribution. The middle of the hog gets the heat from these two banks.

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      Great tip - thank you and sorry for your loss.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      To emphasize the point--I think putting coals UNDER the hog results in a big fire.

Wow, 7 recipes, you must have cooked a lot of whole hog! What's your typical setup, would love to see photos of your pit/grill!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here