Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moink ball poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moink ball poll

Make them from frozen meatballs
    25.00%
    Make fresh meatballs
    50.00%
    Avoid like the plague/haven't heard of them
    25.00%

I made them once, didn’t go over great. I used Frozen Angus ( Supposedly) Meatballs From Bj’s. Probably won’t do them again.

Comment

I've also made them with venison/beef. they went over well.

Comment

• xaugievike
        xaugievike commented
        Editing a comment
        Veef balls? Beefison?

I can eat them, but didn't like them enough to make them again.

Comment

Need to add: "Never heard of them."

Comment

I’m with HawkerXP!

Comment

I use frozen meatballs, as they are my go to no fuss app when I have a ton of other cooking to do.

Comment

I made them once. They were gone in 30 seconds. Used frozen

Comment

Love meatballs and love bacon but the idea of these just don’t do it for me, so I’ve never made them and don’t really envision changing my mind

Comment

Made them once and used frozen meatballs due to time constraints. I sprinkled brown sugar on them before cooking. They went over well. Next time will make fresh. I also have some ground venison i want to use for Voink balls.

Comment

ComfortablyNumb has shown me the sheltered life I lead. They sound interesting. Might try them someday.

Comment

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree warrants a try.

So it looks like I’ve made them but in a different way. Frozen meatballs (come in various flavors) with cut up pineapple, peppers and onions stuck on a skewer. Brushed with teriyaki sauce. Pretty good and quick. Click image for larger version  Name:	862AC0B8-37FB-4037-9501-B965DD98D7E3.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.44 MB ID:	623141

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your alignment sucks. 🕶

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Please forgive me. I'll work on it. FireMan

I make fresh meatballs. Add pepper jack cheese and salt pepper garlic seasoning. People go crazy for these and request them all the time. Frozen meatballs are to firm and the Italian spices don’t go well with BBQ sauce in my opinion.

Comment

Made them for this past New Year's eve. Used a sweet rub to coat them while smoking, pulled them from the grill and served them with a warm Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce. They went over fairly well but I sort of over did the amount of wood for the smoke. I'm going to try them again with 1/2 the amount of wood for smoke. When you add bacon, you should be able to serve and old shoe.

Comment

This is a meatball wrapped in bacon?

I did some experiments with bacon wrapped filets and bacon wrapped burgers.

My conclusion is that bacon works as an effective barrier to smoke penetration and to proper browning.

So, you have a meatball, which I think DEMANDS browning, like all over, and we're going to wrap it in insulation. No.

Avoid like the plague. Ditto Beer Can Burgers, bacon wrapped filets, or really any bacon wrapped pork or beef.

The exception would be if you're gonna Activa that bacon in place. If you can fuse the bacon to the wrapped item, then you eliminate the problem that happens when the bacon falls off the edge at time of service.

Comment

• WesF
                        WesF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        To each his own.

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like bacon. No one should construe my comment to be anti-bacon, just as my post on my diet forum about how pastrami is superior does not diminish my bacon love. It's just that eating a bacon wrapped filet worked much better in my mind than in practice. Scallops, on the other hand...

• fracmeister
                        fracmeister commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I actually brown the meatballs and THEN wrap.

But now that you mentioned it, I have transglutiaminase... I could glue that bacon to the ball!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here