Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Top Loin Roast??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Top Loin Roast??

My wife bought a 3# boneless pork top loin roast from a supermarket marked "grill it like a steak." I've grilled many pork loin roasts but have never heard of a top loin roast. Can anybody enlighten me? If not, I'll dry brine it for 6-8 hours and then reverse-sear it to 140 degrees pull temp.

That plan is right! You might even want to pull it at 135 before you sear.

Comment

I agree with EdF and pull it somewhere between 130 and 135. i'd be more inclined to wet brine a pork loin to pull some moisture in.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely.

I have one of the roasts I get from Costco in the water bath as we speak. Probably very similar. Cooking to IT of 135*, will the sear it up, most likely on the gasser and serve with a board sauce.

You have a great plan!

Comment

Fantastic. Wet brine and 135 it'll be! Thanks.

Comment

Double pork, wrap it in bacon. Everything is better with bacon.

Comment

My guess is "top loin" is pork loin with a fancier name. Maybe to differentiate it from pork tenderloin which a lot of people confuse with plain ol' loin?

I agree with EdF -- You probably want to pull a pork loin roast at 135 F or even a tish under that. Carryover cooking will bring the temp to 140-ish, which is still juicy and flavorful. Anything over that is risking the meat turning into cardboard, IMO. Of late, I prefer to cook loin to the same target temp as a medium rare steak -- 130-135 F.

Comment

I am guessing that refers to the back part of the loin.. it would have had tender loins under it if it was cut to chops.. think of a sirloin beef steak you have some loin and some tenderloin..

Comment

Wet brine because commercial pork is sad and it needs extra love. and even heritage pork likes a wet brine.

Keep <140. I’d go to 135, and I’d probably sous vide or slice for chops. But even on the smoker,it’s a reverse sear candidate or a rotisserie candidate.

Comment

Thanks again, guys; lots of good info and support on this site. And the best part is, I get all the credit!!

Comment

Pull way before. You want a finish at 135°. It will rest up at least 10° after cooking. The hotter the cook the higher the rest up temp.

Remember that brined meat cooks faster and rests up more while easily drying out.

Id brine, drip dry, bread and fry it in lard. But that’s just me.

Comment

• fkrall
                      fkrall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll pass on the lard, but your 135 comment is spot on based on my cook. It was still juicy thanks to the brining, but it was a snick more done than I'd prefer (soft white with only a faint pink note) when I carved. Good but not great.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here