Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon question

Thanks to everyone who helped answer my question on cure salt..
    now .. does everyone rinse the pork belly after curing.. it seems to me your rinsing off all the exterior flavor.

I rinse mine, I also use lots of seasoning (herbs) in my cure and I try to wash them away.

Comment

I do....the first time I did it I was surprised at how well the seasoning (pepper - that I can see) actually did not rinse off. I dont hit it with a fire hose or anything, but just a quick rinse with gentle stream.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here

I rinse. I also haven't ever cracked the bag of Prague #1 open to make bacon. No one has ever told me it didn't taste like bacon, and I've done a dozen or so (cured) bellies. That it likely enhances the flavor and color, I have no argument to make.

Comment

• Ramfan781
        Ramfan781 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you hot smoke?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I do. If I were cold-smoking, the issue regarding Prague powders would have a different outcome. But how many bacon recipes out there actually cold smoke?

Cut off a slice or two and cook them to see how it tastes. It will probably be too salty. I do rinse for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by EdF View Post
        I rinse. I also haven't ever cracked the bag of Prague #1 open to make bacon. No one has ever told me it didn't taste like bacon, and I've done a dozen or so (cured) bellies. That it likely enhances the flavor and color, I have no argument to make.
        Be careful how you use the word cured.. you are not curing yours.. this is how people new to smoking get sick.. you are also smoking on a BBQ at 225 not in a smokehouse at 125.. all are variables that need to be looked at..

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Salting in a brine for a sufficient time is curing. And see my comment a few messages back about cold-smoking. Not too many people around here are likely to take that approach, because of a relative lack of resources about how to do it right. Or inadequate equipment.

So you're right - the parameters need to be established and honored.

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem edf.. I know you know what you are doing but alot of people don't.. I have seen people do some dumb stuff out of lack of knowledge.. I had a buddy stop over a few years ago and we were eating biscuits and gravy.. he commented how good it was and I told him I had canned 50lbs of sausage in winter.. a few weeks later he sends a picture of his canned sausage.. I quickly called to make sure he pressures canned it which he did not!!! It told him canned not pressure canned!! Details

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Got your point, and agree "better safe than sorry".

I rinse and soak.

Comment

Just to try and clarify this question I always look to the USDA standards.
          The American Meat Science Association explains thus:
          ”The USDA has defined Standards of Identity for processed meats, and the standard of identity of some products, including frankfurters, ham, and bacon, states that they are cured. The USDA further defines cured meats as those that include the addition of sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate, potassium nitrite or potassium nitrate. If a product defined as cured in its standard of identity is manufactured without one of the USDA recognized curing ingredients, the manufacturer must include "uncured" following the product name and "no nitrate or nitrite added except those naturally found in (added ingredients)" on the product label. Due to this regulation, cured meats produced with an alternative curing methods are required be labeled as "uncured" and "no nitrate or nitrite added" even though they have cured meat characteristics and contain residual nitrite and nitrate that is indistinguishable from those found in traditionally cured products.”

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice post.. this is what I was trying to say😀😀

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here