Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork cheeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork cheeks

How do you cook pork cheeks? Seasoning? On a grill, in oven or a stick burner?

I’ve read a few recipes that call for braising. I have not had cheek meat though, so can’t provide info based on experience. Does sound good.

Comment

There's only one product that is truly worthy to be made from pork cheeks/jowls: guanciale!

Here's one of many recipes out on the internuts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.fddba86d86ad

When we cured it, we did not use Prague powder (but it will improve the color and flavor), and we hung it in a breezy entryway to our house.

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Now, I have used guanciale a lot! Just not the uncured cheek. This guanciale brings loads of flavor to dishes! Mmmmmm.....carbonara.....I can taste it. Hahaha
        Last edited by barelfly; January 6, 2019, 12:46 PM.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly It's amazing is all I can say. And easy to make!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        My vote would be for guanciale or bacon. But nearly any recipe that uses pork belly can be made with cheeks.

Many years back, we did sliced fresh jowl, (pork cheek). Seasoned with seasoned salt and fried in skillet. Good eating.

Comment

My first marriage was to a Tex-Mex woman. During Christmas especially (and other festive occasions) they cook tamales from scratch. Every mamsita down here has their own recipe, stuff is amazing.

Well the first Christmas after we were married we drew the black bean for hosting the proverbial Christmas tamale-a-thon. When I got up the morning of the cook, I went into the refrigerator to get something and there staring me in the face was this great, big pig head. To be honest I was a bit hung over from the previous night's activities so the sight of the pig head made be almost upchuck my cookies !!!

So to get to the point, later on I found that the best pork tamales are made with pig head meat, especially the cheeks. I can't say that I necessarily would recommend it, but they boil the heck out of the head and pick out and shred the meat, the cheeks being the prize portion. Given that, I would think any braising method would be more than adequate.

Sorry for the long story and the weak conclusion, but that's all I got !!!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          A tamalada. Christmas tradition all over Chicago’s Mexican community. A family assembly line.

They are really really really (cant type enough reallys here) good when braised in hard apple cider. you can google cider-braised pig cheeks to find a bunch of recipes but most of them are pretty similar. Trust me you will not regret it.

Comment

Hey guys, I want to cook them, not make Guancialie or tomales .

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Treat as pork belly. Similar fat content, similar protein... so, brine it, rub it, smoke it until it's probe tender, profit.

I have never tried pork cheeks, and I don't know why. I might have to add this to the "to-do" list.

I am thinking that I would smoke and braise them. Then add a sugary glaze at the end of the cook and let the glaze firm up on the smoker for 10-15.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Get some off a butcher sow so they are about 3/4 inch thick. Cook like a pork chop or in a cast iron pan with some lard... Damn good.. like walleye cheeks!!!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting! A little thicker than Walleye cheeks! Backroadmeats

Thanks Potkettleblack. That sounds good.

Comment

My mom always made head cheese. As a kid, I would eat it but wouldn't consider it a treat. I think now I would have a greater appreciation for it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here