Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bones & Butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bones & Butts

Kind of a catchy title. My boss is throwing a National Championship party at his house tomorrow night, so I said I would smoke a butt and bring. I fired up the Weber with the SNS at 7AM. Just some KBB and some cherry chunks. I'll wrap it at about 175 and take it to 205-210. Also, his wife is throwing a baby shower at their house today, so he and his 2 boys (18 &15) are coming over to watch some NFL playoffs. SOOO, I thought, since I have the smoker burning, might as well throw on 2 racks of ribs! You can tell it's not bbq season in Memphis. I have a very small Kroger near my house. It only had 2 pork picnics and only preseasoned ribs. I've got a hover grill and a rib holder, so I think I can cram all of this in the kettle.

So I drove about 4 miles to the next Kroger which is at least 3 times bigger. Thank God. They at least had 6 or 7 boston butts in the cooler, but in the fresh section, only baby back ribs. So I'll go with them and some Nathan's all beef hot dogs for later. Of course, I may cheat and eat some of the pulled pork tonight, but shhhh, it's our little secret!

I'm applying a liberal amount of MMD to both. I am thinking since I have 2 racks of ribs, I may rub 1 down with Whataburger spicy ketchup before the MMD and the other with mustard and do a back-to-back taste test.

I'm a huge Slow N Sear fan. I filled it up with KBB and some cherry chunks, threw a tumbleweed starter in the corner, threw a few briquets on top of it, lit it, left the lid open for about 20 minutes, had good looking flame on the corner coals. Then I threw the butt on, set my vents and ran to Kroger to get the hotdogs. I came back and the temp is at 225. ON.THE.DOT! I figured it was still increasing, so I set the vents to my marks I made with a sharpie and it is hovering between 227-237.

Did I mention I am a fan of the SNS??? It's easier than the electric smoker I used to use!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by droopie69; January 6, 2019, 07:56 AM.

Great write up and good lookin' meat.

Comment

• droopie69
      droopie69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I have learned everything from this site!!

Just put on some 'Blasphemy Ribs.' I was able to get 2 full racks of BB ribs along with the butt. I am anticipating eating in about 4 or 5 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190106_100142.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	619417Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190106_100154.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	619418Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190106_100322.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	619419

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yer food is lookin great!
      Nice stackin an packin job there, Amigo!
      I Love my Hovergrills!
      Yers looks like my "The Original Upper Deck",which I find to be more useful fer an indirect low n slow, like this!
      Lookin forward to more pics, I been contemplatin doin up "Blasphemies" in 'twosies', like this, rather than singles, an I think ya jus provided me with th inspiration to try!

• droopie69
      droopie69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones do it! I did 2's and 3's because I figured it would be easier to get them all on the grill. They were on about 3 hours and they might have been the best ribs I have ever cooked. I didn't even use any sauce. Just MMD. They were juicy and full of flavor! I found out there may be one or 2 sets of 'bones' left. If I find them in the fridge, I'll get some pics. They won't look as good and juicy as yesterday, but still.

Making me hungry. Looks great.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

How's that cook comin, amigo?

Yup, catchy title, got my attention, right off!

Bones? Butts? Bones an Butts?

Somebody, I say somebody knocked!...

Comment

Very Nice! You got her loaded down brother!

Comment

Too bad the haul of ribs was swooped on like vultures. No pictures, but they were might good eats! 2 racks gone in 10 minutes. I just pulled the pork...literally out of the cooler, still at 175 I.T. Shredded it up and will heat 'er back up before the big game tomorrow. Looks good! Don't tell 'em I tried it out.....it's darn tasty!

Comment

Beautiful cook

Comment

Those are some solid looking cooks.

Are you sure you’re not Guy Fieri? You sure look like him

Comment

• droopie69
                  droopie69 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah. I don't do TV, don't have a red Camaro and don't go sticking my finger in other chef's pots!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here