Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are All Pork Ribs Equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are All Pork Ribs Equal?

I have a PBC and have done about 10 racks of St. Louis Ribs. Up here in New Hampshire I've purchased ribs from a meat market and a grocery chain. The meat market ribs were expensive and the grocery store ribs were significantly less expensive but they both seemed similar in the amount of meat on the bone and in the end result after smoking. I just watched a video of Russ Jones / Smokey Ribs doing his ribs on a PBC and a Lonestar Grillz. What struck me was that his ribs looked better than what I've picked up at either store. Am I just thinking I see a difference or is there really a difference in the quality of ribs available in different parts of the country?

This is from a cook awhile back. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1-13-18 at 10.55 AM.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	618876Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1-13-18 at 10.55 AM (1).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	618877

1-1/2 racks of St. Louis style ribs tonight from Berkshire Heritage Pig. These are black pigs with sweeter and darker meat. Originally bred in Berkshire, England. In Japan they are known as Kurobuta, they are to pork what Waygu and Kobe are to beef. The night before coated with light Karo syrup and powered Honey rub, set in fridge. Next day set the Big Green Egg up with pecan and peach wood added to BGE lump charcoal. Got the temp up to 325-350. Rubbed ribs with worchestershire and used Oak Ridge BBQ’s Dominator rub. Cooked for 1 hour 40 minutes. Sauced the last 20 minutes with a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog regular and their Tennessee Red, removed and rested under foil for 10 minutes. Unbelievable!!!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      He's referring to the fact that they cut so much meat off the bone the the bone is literally scaped bare, thus it's a "shiner".

• wrgilb
      wrgilb commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried getting them from SRF, but to inconsistent, sometimes small and not much meat. I now split 30# cases with a restaurant, we get them from Sierra Meat in Reno.

• bronzewound
      bronzewound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the explanation Troutman. I learn new things every time I log into Pitmaster.

Market District has a store near me. I shopped there on Saturdays usually. I went on a Friday and they had Berkshire pork in the case. I told the butcher that I didn't know they carried Berkshire pork and he told me it comes in on Thursday and is usually gone by the end of the day on Friday, but they do take orders. So where ever you're shopping talk to the butcher and you might be surprised. My experience is that quality of ribs varies greatly! You're not imagining that. Good cooking to you!

Comment

• bronzewound
      bronzewound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for this information. Not sure the meat market near me isn't particularly open to getting out of their comfort zone for what they now carry. I may start a thread of what are the best meat markets in New Hampshire as well as best mail order meat markets. The shipping on some of the mail meat markets makes me stop from buying.

No. All ribs are not the same. All pigs are not the same. Commodity pork is, frankly, flavorless garbage. There are ethical issues that matter to some folks more than others, as well. But from a pure flavor perspective, heritage breeds and pasture raised pork is almost a different animal. A much more delicious animal. For me, generally worth the expense.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      We used to source our sides of beef and our pork from mostly Maine, but also a couple of times in NH (Petersborough area). You should be able to find someone. Just make sure to have a big freezer and check out their credentials, breeds, how they package it etc. I suppose being in the lakes region isn't going to help that much, though. bronzewound

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      As mentioned above in the post, I've ordered Berkshire spares from SRF and the first time they were on the smallish side but meaty, the next time they were small with little meat. Although great taste, the bang for the buck wasn't there. I too am looking for a source of quality pork with meat on the bone, I mean like thick.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had a couple of racks of Berkshires that I've found disappointing. But I've seen other people get meaty ones... I think it's down to the butcher... every ounce of meat on top of the spares is one less ounce of pork belly. Every ounce on top of the baby backs is one less ounce of loin. Since belly is highly desireable at present, it's hard out there for spare rib lovers.

Not all pork is the same. Just like beef, breed and how it’s raised matters a lot. Most supermarket pork is very similar. The pigs have been bred for high yield in a short time, much like chicken. I cooked a poulet blue chicken from a local farmer and it was so much better than typical grocery store chicken. Heritage breeds tend to be smaller and grow slower, so they are more expensive but they haven’t had the flavor bred out of them.

Comment

• bronzewound
      bronzewound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Red Man. Makes sense...you get what you pay for.

When I was young we had breeding pigs on the farm. Free range and feed them on old fruit from the local orchards or wild goats that got in front of my rifle. The Pork from them tasted great. Sometimes in summer we would get tons and tons of kiwifruit and would go rotten in the crates waiting for the pigs to eat their way through it. The pigs ended up getting drunk and would pass out in the sun after eating.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      You just painted a great picture!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      We see something similar in the late fall when the deer eat the rotting apples on the ground and stagger around like drunken sailors.

If you buy you meat at a grocery store or meat market they are the same thing.. when sold in retail none of the meat is locally grown because no meat market can afford to have a federal meat inspector on site for very long.. it is all boxed meat from the big packing houses/commercial farms.. my advice is find a local custom processer and a local farmers and buy quality meat from someone that cares for the animal and cares for and appreciates good meat..

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      One of my butchers is a whole animal butcher. So different deal, but a good point.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Freezing won't hurt. It's the way most small growers distribute their product.

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Meat should be frozen for safety anyway..

Yup. That is what a custom processor is.. I am in the process of putting up a building to do just that right now.. when I get the animal it is walking.. when it leaves it is wrapped in butcher paper!!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hoof to table, gotta like that !!!

Here is an interest post that covers pork as well as farm life from one of our members.

pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/pitmaster-general-discussion/452047-2018-farm-journal?pp=482507

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here