Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help on my Pulled Pork cook today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on my Pulled Pork cook today

I need some help from the experts. I am smoking a Boston butt (9.7 Lbs) for Christmas dinner this evening. I was planning to get it on the grill around 4-5 am but the wife didn't want to risk waking the kids. Of course the kids kept waking up and checking the time so they woke up way later then usual and I didn't get the meat on until 8:30 am. As of 1:45 pm I am up to 147 degrees on the meat running the grill at 250 (https://sharemycook.com/Cook/Detail/...9-cbece98f7d70). I'm afraid at this rate I am not going to get the meat done when my wife wants to have dinner which is around 6 pm. Should I raise the temp in the grill and to what temp?

My wife got me the membership for Christmas so I'm looking forward to learning a lot from everyone and sharing the little I have learned.

Jason

If yer frettin bein done at Go Time, then, yup...I'd turn yer cooker temp up...

Pork butt can take it...

I typically run mine at ~ 275°-300°, an they come out moist, an delish...

Best of luck with yer cook, an Merry Christmas!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2389.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	612760Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2402.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	612761Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2405.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	612762Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2408.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	612763Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2404.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	612764Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2407.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	612765
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 25, 2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      I am with you 300f and foil it now. You will be fine.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      You can even go 325. If it's early just hold it cambro until you want to eat.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, easily 325°...

drop into a foil pan - cover loosely with foil and bump the heat to 273-285. Merry Christmas and welcome to the Pit

Comment

What others have said already. Bump the temp up. As soon as the bark looks good enough (now, perhaps), wrap it in foil and cook it at 275-300° F all the way to finish. Don't forget to rest it though!

And since this is your first post: Welcome to the Pitmaster Club!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visiting https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

I almost hate to say this but if you do run out of time and have an instant pot, you can get it done in time for dinner, and it will be moist, tender and have the smoke flavor. Just won’t have the bark.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          No shame in simply statin th Truth, Brother!

Bumping up the temp to roughly 300 and foil wrapping once you’ve developed good bark will get you there. Normally I wait until after the stall to wrap. For future reference if you have a butt that size cut it in half. You’ll get more surface area for more bark and you’ll shorten the stall a bit. Pull it when it hits 190-195 internal. That temp range works well for pulled pork.

Comment

I am following your cook. You are through the stall and internal temp will rise faster now. Pull when probe tender and put in a cooler to rest.

Comment

Make sure your wrap is TIGHT. Foil Pan works great for that. If it's not tight, then you will not accelerate your cook times. And what I mean by tight is that the steam from the heated meat is not escaping, and cooling down the meat (the stall).

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Jason. I'm sorry I didn't check in here earlier to help.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota. I hope your pork turned out ok.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Sorry I was too late to help, however, you got great advice.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I routinely do 10# Boston Butts on my Big Green Egg. Here are a few thought for future reference. Thickness of meat determines cook time. The 10#ers are 4” plus thick. They typically take 12-14 hours to cook. A cook at 225 typically runs like this: refrigerator temp to 160 - 3 hours; cooking through the stall (160-180) - 6 hours; 180-200 - 3 hours; total cook time 12 hours. Wrapping the meat in a double layer of foil cuts the cook time in half, so wrapping at 160 can turn a 12 hour cook into a 7 1/7 hour cook and increasing the cooking temperature to 275 or 300 can cut more time off of the cook. I usually cook them overnight since I can set and forget it on my Big Green Egg and serve at noon. The cook benefits some more from resting for 2-4 hours wrapped in foil and placed in an old Ice chest with the extra space filled in with old towels before cooking. The Boston Butt is the most forgiving piece of meat to cook.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips. I did the foil method and it turned out great! I was going to take a picture to post it but completely forgot. Meat came off at 5:45 at 196 degrees and was delicious! Thanks for saving our Christmas dinner!
                        Last edited by JasonC; December 26, 2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• holehogg
                          holehogg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Glad all went well. Next time give yourself enough time to allow to rest in cambro / cooler. It makes a huge difference to end result

Welcome to the pit. I know I am few weeks late to the party, but I have found my best results come if I take the butt to 170-175 and if there's a good crusty bark, wrap it super tight in 2 layers of foil. I take it from there to 205-210 and it doesn't take long once it is wrapped. (6-8lbs) I then wrap it in a cheap Harbor Freight moving blanket and stick it in a cooler for a few hours. The bark does soften up a bit, but the meat is super tender and very nice. I think anytime you're in a hurry you can pull it and wrap. Even if it's not 170...you may not have very much bark at all, but it will still taste good and gets done much quicker. I did one butt this way and unwrapped it and put it over the fire for few minutes on each side. It made some bark, which I liked, but my wife said was tough.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here