Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Spare ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Spare ribs

So I recently cooked a whole spare ribs with the rib tips on. I've done the toothpick test and the meat around the ribs came out tender, but the meat along the rib tips seems still hard.

Eventually I had to sop the cooking and take it out of the smoker, because the meat around the ribs will fall out of the bone if I continue cooking. But still, the ribs tips seems tough. Anyone experienced this before?

Also, (for a different scenario) when it comes to temperature, the meat gets tender around 190°F to 205°F (correct me if I'm
    wrong). If I continue to cook beyond these meat temperatures, will the meat become tough? If so, do you guys know what temp so I can monitor it next time?

Thanks all!

Next time, cut the tips off, (or buy St Louis), and cook them along with the ribs. That way you can pull the ribs or the tips when you want. Here is how to tell when they are ready:

There are several techniques to tell when your ribs are ready: bend, twist, peek-a-boo, taste, toothpick, popup, and thermometer test. Since ribs come in so many different weights and thicknesses, knowing when they are done is an inexact science but here are some guidelines and techniques that will help make it easier.

If you cook too long, they will dry out.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto! Cut the tips off & do em with.

If you read the link RonB posted, just be careful with the bend test on thick baby backs. Those tend to not "crack" and you'll over cook them if trying to achieve a successful bend test. I go by probe tenderness checks and when the meat pulls back from the bone about a 1/4-1/2".

Also check this method out. I've done it a few times (including yesterday) and it is a game changer. I've done it with STL and BBs with great success.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just about to say the same thing about the bend test on the thicker baby backs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here