Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone split racks of BabyBacks into thick part and thin part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone split racks of BabyBacks into thick part and thin part?

I am smoking 4 racks of beef short ribs and three racks of baby back pork ribs this weekend, on my KBQ (225 F). I plan on using Clint's CCC rub on the beef, (dry brining the day before), and following Meathead's recommendation to divide the beef into 2 rib sections (since some of the racks have 5 ribs, I will need to make some major choices: 2 + 2 + 1 or 2 + 3!!) I plan to add the baby back pork racks about 90 minutes later. My question: since the Costco (Swift) baby backs are so large on the thick end, I was considering dividing each rack into thick end and flatter ends, and starting the thick ends about 45 minutes earlier. Has anyone done this? Any advice, warnings, condemnation? Thanks, all.

If there is a ton of loin meat on those racks, consider trimming it off to get a more uniform thickness. That has worked for me.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Steve. What do you do with the loin meat? Throw on the smoker for a 'chef's treat'?

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      NO say it isn't SO... Dr. Pepper when I trim meat, if there is enough meat, I chop the veggies I have on hand for chili for two.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      There is usually enough for a few bites for me and my dogs who love to hang around the smoker. You know, just in case something were to fall out on the ground.

I always split them, but use temperature probes to pull sets off as they're done. If you can start them a bit later, do, but I think 20 minutes later is better, not 45 because I don't have that big a gap between like meats when beeping me. Regardless, use thermometer probes and you'll be right as rain.

Comment

Well, I owe it to the pit to let you all (excuse me, y'all....I'm still learnin' up here in Seattle!) know how it turns out. Thanks.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, technically, ya'll is for 2 - 5, > 5 & it's 'all y'all'.

Head over to Lake Desire and pull out some rainbows for me...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here