Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what stage do I take baby back ribs if I plan on freezing and eating later?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what stage do I take baby back ribs if I plan on freezing and eating later?

Well that's about it. I'm smoking 4 whole racks right now on my Egg. Smoked 3 hours, foil now for 2. Since my wife and I usually consume part of one rack, after I take the foil off I put the rack back on the Egg to finish it.

But at what stage do I finish the other 3 racks? Do I take them off after two hours in the foil, freeze them and then freeze them. Then finish them on the Egg or grill later? Or do I finish them all the way now, like the first rack, freeze them and then heat them up later?

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

silverfox9142

Welcome to the Pit Master Club! Thanks for joining up! I don't cook my ribs using foil, but I would cook them all to completion, then shock in an ice bath and freeze the ones that you are not going to eat right away.

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
    • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

• silverfox9142
      silverfox9142 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Spinaker, for your response. Actually been here for over a year but it's the first time I've used the forum. Great place, I should add.

I cook them 'til they're done (I never wrap), we eat what we want (like you only part of a full rack for the two of us), then vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers in meal-sized portions. I usually strip all of the meat off of the leftover ribs because it saves space in the freezer and because we tend to use the leftover rib meat in other dishes ... like stir fry, etc.

Ribs have to be cooked to above 190 F in order for the collagen and connective tissue to render fully, so reheating to any serving temperature above 140 and below 190 works great. These days I usually use sous vide to reheat, but covered in the oven works, too.

Oh ... and welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Toss some of those leftovers into a good tomato sauce, and put it over good pasta. Yowza!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Very efficient space usage, Amigo!
      I save up them bones in th freezer, make stock with em!

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I do except I keep them on the bone. Cook until finished. Vacuum seal leftovers in a meal size. Reheat via sous vide and brush with sauce and finish under broiler or on grill over direct heat to crisp up bark

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, an a belated Welcome to Th Pit!

Glad to hear from ya, hop on in, join th discussion, when ya have th time, or inclination!!!

Btw: Cook them rascals til they're done, first time...

Comment

Welcome to the PIT. Ask a question, get your answers. Totally unlike everything else in life!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Cook 'em how you like 'em! Then vacuum seal for the freezer. I likely use my Anova more for reheating frozen packets of BBQ for later enjoyment than I do for actual cooking.

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club, fellow egg-head!

Comment

Thanks, all, for your warm welcome and ideas. I hadn't given a thought to sous vide to warm the ribs. Sounds perfect....just heats em without drying them out. Great idea.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here