Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smithfield Genuine Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smithfield Genuine Ham

Anybody do one of these? They are salt cured and uncooked. After reading the cooking instructions I'd be a little concerned about doing one in the smoker. Because of the salt cure they are dry by nature. Their cooking instructions call for it to be panned and covered in the oven with water in the pan. I'm just wondering if adding a water pan on the rack underneath the ham would be enough moisture in the smoker? I'd like to lay some smoke to it so I'd rather not pan it directly and let the smoke get to it. I'd hate to drop that kind of money and wind up with a dry ham.

Never have done a uncooked ham but would like to add it to the yeah I've done one of those list.
    Salt Cured Aged & Smoked Uncooked Slice Thin! Hand-salted and dry cured from a centuries old recipe. Seasoned with black pepper and smoked over fires built from aged hardwoods, permeating the ham for up to12 months resulting in its distinctive, succulent flavor. Surface mold may appear but is in no way injurious (like the mold on fine cheeses). Preparation instructions for soaking and cooking methods included. Comes in a traditional cloth bag. Uncooked, 16-19 lbs. Serves about 36.

The water pan is just not going to do it. It needs all the moisture it can get, and it needs the wash off and soak to remove some of the salt. It has already been through a smoking process and doesn’t need more either. To do it justice just follow the cooking instructions and you will have a great treat. Also look up how to make redeye gravy as that is the second best treat cooking the ham will produce for you.

My wife pointed out that if you cook it in the smoker you still want it wrapped totally in aluminum foil with water in the bottom. She suggested that you slice off some thin slices, soak those, and then fry in a pan so you can get a feel and taste for the final product. The amount of soaking time affects the saltiness, and it will help you judge if it has soaked enough for your tastes.
    Last edited by Donw; November 17, 2018, 06:32 AM. Reason: Wife’s opinion added.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      As I've been reading more about these I kind of reached the same conclusion you suggest. They need a lot of moisture! Putting them covered in the smoker makes no sense so I would do it in the oven. You're wife's idea of slicing some off after soaking and trying it is a good idea to see if it requires further soaking. Thank you and your wife for your input!

Fry slices in a mixture of bacon grease, coffee, and brown sugar. Put them over biscits with redeye gravy made from the pan drippings.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man that sounds like a breakfast to die for with a big bloody mary to go along with it!

You are bringing back memories. We live about 1.5 hours from Smithfield. However, my favorite "Smithfield" ham was produced in Richmond by the E>M> Todd Co. Todd ceased operations in 1998.

Biscuits with Smithfield ham are a Christmas tradition around here.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Todd made a great product. It is a shame that country hams are losing market share. Even Smithfield foods are tearing down their smokehouses.

Didn't the Chi Coms buy Smithfield? The Edwards Wigwam hams seem to be highly rated as well.

Comment

I smoked one, and used Meathead's Glaze (i modified it to use pineapple instead of apricot). It came out great!. Not too salty. I did this one earlier this year. The extra smoke and glaze really added to the flavor. All I did was crosshatch the outer layer with a knife.

Comment

If it were me, I don't want a water pan directly under the ham. I would still use a drip pan, to catch those drippings because they are going to be insanely good.

Honestly, I don't think you need to add a water pan to the smoker. Just go low and slow and I think you will be fine. Which one of your rig are you going to use to cook this baby?

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          If it were me, I don't want a water pan directly under the ham. I would still use a drip pan, to catch those drippings because they are going to be insanely good.

Honestly, I don't think you need to add a water pan to the smoker. Just go low and slow and I think you will be fine. Which one of your rig are you going to use to cook this baby?
          Haven't decided if I'm going this route yet but my intention was to put it in the horizontal at 200 to 225 to cook through. But I have a tendency to agree with Donw and his wifes advice on cooking one of these. At the price I don't want to wind up with a dried out ham. I'm cooking it over at my daughters house Christmas day it's my new Grandsons first Christmas so I probably shouldn't be experimenting.

I get a really good Cloverdale tear drop ham from my food service supplier that goes 11 to 13 pounds and takes the smoke real well in the stick burner. The more I think about it the more I might go that route.
          I am going to do one of these at some point soon it's really got the bee in the bonnet!!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Understandable. I am used to cooking for myself, so if I screw it up, I am the only one let down. LOL Let us know how this goes, I would love to try this sometime.

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            You are going to love it if you control the salt. We eat this style country ham every weekend, and leftover sandwiches during the week. Try some redeye gravy over grits or rice for a real treat.

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely agree with Donw if you're still on the fence...

I thought I would pass this on too. VA extension service country ham publication. How to cook and carve are further down the publication. https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/...58-223_pdf.pdf

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here