Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked fresh picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked fresh picnic

I have a picnic I plan to cook tomorrow. Also some mustard sauce I was given as a gift.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_103907.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	587420Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_112634.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	587421Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_112640.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	587422
    Here's my plan: as you can see I am already dry brining. Early tomorrow morning this is going on my GMG in a foil pan with some of this mustard. I plan to brush it on from the pan regularly to give it a bit of a glaze. Thinking it will be pulled rather than sliced.

Thoughts? Improvements? Should I inject some? Mix more mustard in after pulling, or serve on the side? Comments and ideas welcome.
    ​​​​​

IF I were in yer shoes, I'd slather it on while cookin, as ya said, previous, an serve with it on th side, rather than mixed in, so folks can taste what a fine job ya done, smokin th picnic....

Jus one take on a myriad of answers/solutions...

Comment

Looking forward to seeing what you get for suggestions, as well as seeing how it comes out. I've got a couple of these in my freezer.

Comment

Up at 6:30 to put this baby on.

Name:	IMG_20181104_061353.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	587938
        After the first layer firmed up I painted on a second layer. It has also firmed up, as you can see.

Name:	IMG_20181104_135319.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	587939
        Firmly in the stall now, and should be moving past soon.

Comment

I hope it's not still in the stall?

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            After a short salt brine brushed on plain ole yellow mustard STL pork ribs when scrubbed 1st like a dirty dish with some cut limes the mustard holds on spicing I choose to shake on heavy before slow long smoking and then searing just a bit.

I never really taste that yellow mustard. You've got unique Heat & Sweet going on & that seems tasty - I hope you let us know about the final taste profile.

Final results. The skin was pretty floppy and in my opinion not worth including in the final product, so much of the mustard was lost. In the end it was pretty much pulled pork without much additional flavor (which is fine).

Name:	IMG_20181104_192103.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	588225

Name:	IMG_20181104_192730.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	588226
          Served with some homemade slaw and a bit more of the mustard. Happy with the results, but I think keeping the skin on is a waste of time.

Name:	IMG_20181104_193046.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	588227

Comment

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker apparently it's typical to sell the picnic with the skin on. Next time I will remove it, it's not good for this kind of cook.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, I didn't realize it had the actual skin on there. I have never cooked one with the skin on. JCGrill

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker that dark square in the first pic above is all skin. It peeled away. Texturally not worth keeping. I think you could crisp it up if done properly, but for this cut I'd be concerned about getting it done too soon, which of course would make it tougher.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here