Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Ribs POLL: Baby backs, St Louis, or full spares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Ribs POLL: Baby backs, St Louis, or full spares?

Let's hear it- pick your favorite rib cut!
    Baby backs / loin backs
    23.94%
    St Louis
    44.37%
    Full spares
    10.56%
    Baby backs or St Louis, I just don't like full spares
    14.08%
    Don't care, ribs are ribs
    7.04%
    Neither, not much of a pork ribs fan
    0%

I find removing the rib tips from full spares to be a royal pain.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. Why bother, I just cook the whole slab and eat it too :-)

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Aw! Find the end of a rib bone, make a cut, and go parallel to the other side. St. Louis styles are done this way every time! Separates the tips from the ribs and both are delicious! Whole spares are usually cheaper AND they include the tips!

Baby backs can get too finicky, and full spares give me junk I don't want, St. Louis all the way baby !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	583663

Comment

Huskee I voted St. Louis, but full spares are OK too. You didn’t give us that option🤓

best regards,
      Jim

Comment

• jgg85234
        jgg85234 commented
        Editing a comment
        You let us have baby backs plus St. Louis, but not spares plus St. Louis. Full spares are just St. Louis cut with a little extra. (Rib tips and lots of extra work trimming🤫)

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I'm human, can't think of everything

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee and jgg85234 - I said to myself, "I wanted the option of full cut down to St. Louis." I figured too many options would just dilute the results so I chose full. HA!

I used to always go with baby backs before I learned how to cook ie joining the PIT. Now I absolutely prefer St. Louis.

Comment

The key stat in here is nobody I mean nobody doesn't like ribs.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahaha, a fine observation, my friend. Who doesn't love ribs?!?!

• jgg85234
          jgg85234 commented
          Editing a comment
          Every way but boiled🚫🚫🚫

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          when I lived in Evanston (just n.of Chicago there were no good rib joints that I knew of),I didn't "get" ribs.I've since learned to cook,and I do love ribs! St.Louis but playing with spares.

I am with Troutman give me St. Louis Style ribs all the way.

Comment

If forced to choose I’d go with St Louis, but since the choice of "Don’t care, ribs are ribs" was there, that’s the truth.

Comment

jgg85234 "Every way but boiled🚫🚫🚫"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boiling Ribs.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	583736

Comment

• jgg85234
              jgg85234 commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t let Meathead catch you. 👁 Then again, I don’t see any bubbles. Must be your altitude 🤪

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, no bubbles yet. There's still time to reconsider!

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Can always respond....it's a brine I swear.

Let’s get one thing straight, they are WIBS! And just like Huskee, another rigged poll.

Just ducked in for a quick one, couldn’t resist.

Comment

• bardsleyque
              bardsleyque commented
              Editing a comment
              BTW great to hear from you FireMan

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Great to hear from ya, Brother!
              Hope all is goin well there with ya, Mama, an th Derbster!!!!

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Love it - and ducked back out before Huskee could give you the thumbs up! Hahahahaha

SL all the way baby. want that extra fat, but the pretty appearance of the trim.

Comment

This is like Sophie's choice, man. I went with spare ribs because you don't have to mess with the tips and what are you going to do with them anyway? Might as well smoke them with the rest and eat them as a snack while you wait.

Comment

I chose the "Baby backs or St Louis, I just don't like full spares" option. In the past, I would be all in on St. Louis. Since I started filleting the extra loin meat off the back, I actually don't have a preference now.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I chose that option as well. I quit buying BBs from Sam’s Club because their Smithfield packs had just too much loin meat. I’ve only made SLC once and really liked them except for the extra chewies at the ends. I’m outvoted in my house tho, so I just find leaner BBs and we’re all happy.

• BriggsBBQ
                  BriggsBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did some quick back ribs and did not trim the loin. Did sous vide overnight at 135 F so they would cook on the grill faster which they don't because it takes about 3 hours for the bark to get there. The ribs were damn good w no trimming

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what I do too, and I think it's pretty much mandatory in order to have bigger loin backs turn out well.

St. Louis for me.

Comment

If I'm just grabbing ribs from a supermarket I generally go with St. Louis.

With that said, I get full spares when I have a whole hog slaughtered and the farm I use does Berkshire pork. The full racks from those are by far my favorite ribs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here