Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Yesterday I had a failure with my first time cook of pork belly burnt ends. I was following Malcolm Reed's recipe/instructions. Where I went wrong: I over cooked/smoked them in step 1 of the cook. I was using my PBC and was running right at 275 with apple wood for smoke. Malcolm's instructions were 2 1/2 to 3 hours to smoke them. So I let them run unchecked for 2 hours. In hindsight I should have checked them at 1 hour. I think I would have caught them before they overcooked. Also, I think I could have made the pork belly cubes larger. I went on to step 2 with brown sugar, butter and honey and that moistened up the cubes with more fat content but the leaner pieces were too far gone. Overall a failed cook for me. Will try again next weekend and will be sure to monitor the smoke/cook step much closer. Wanted to check if there are other suggestions from The Pit. Thanks for any insights.

My father always said: "you must be wet and cold in your life to appreciate being dry and warm" It was his way of reminding me you are going to fail sometimes. Thanks Pop, I'll give it another try !

I'm not familiar with Malcom Reed's recipe, but here's a link to how I did buckboard bacon in the PBC. Worked out good.

I typically cut the excess layer of fat off the top of Boston Butt before smoking to make pulled pork. Frequently, I have cut off the fat layer plus about an

Comment

My only suggestion is NEVER cook by time. Unfortunately, this is what happens. I always cringe when I see recipes suggest cooking to time. it's one thing to give a "ballpark" figure but to say they will be done in "3-hours" is not the right approach. There are soooo many variables in cook BBQ that we should always be cooking to temp and/or color, not time.

Give it another go and you will be just fine. I find that the smoking portion of the cook takes about 1 1/2 hrs to about 2 hours. Then I move to the braising step, which is where you really get the tenderness from. The smoking portion is just for color and to get some bark going. Here is what mine look like when I move to the braising step. You can see that I have some color but they are not black or anything like that. Just browned up.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	576640

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Concur with you all. I’m a linear thinker and appreciate specific instructions including time. Unfortunately, cooking and good Q require more flexibility. Some go faster others more slowly. It takes what it takes.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Man that's real close to the Harry Soo pork candy recipe I've been making for quite some time. Big winner with the kids, both sweet and savory. Bet your's are good Spinaker

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah! In my book, anything pork belly related is a winner. Troutman

Even though the cook is longer, I prefer to use a slab of belly or at least thick strips. I feel like starting off with chunks increases likelihood they don’t get as tender as I want it to be.

Comment

RustyHaines
        Stick with it, you will be rewarded. Malcom’s recipe is a winner. Of course, apply what you have observed and already commented on.... check an hour into step one and make the necessary adjustments. I just want to cheer you on because I have recently done Malcom’s burnt ends several times following his recipe and they turn out amazing.

i did have a recent partial flop on my last cook and it was due to the same issue you mentioned. I tried fixing them on a new smoker, which I’m not familiar with yet, and let it run based on my previous successful experiences instead of checking, and that caused 50% or so of the burnt ends to turn out.... burnt or too dry on the muscle parts, right on step one.

i figured I could salvage them and went through the rest of the steps... and sure enough, only half made it, the other half was not up to par.

In in any case, keep at it. It’s a great proven recipe and you, and anyone who tries your finished product will be happy with the results.

Cheers,
        Ricardo
        Last edited by Ricardo; October 9, 2018, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Hey RustyHaines in concert with your wise old Pops and his great illustrative saying; just try, try again !! You'll get it, and thanks for sharing what NOT to do, sometimes that's as useful as what TO do !!

Comment

I made Malcoms and I had the same issue, we ended up tossing most of them they were just over cooked. I think my Traeger had issues maintaing a reasonible temp range also.

Comment

Don't feel bad. I did a 36 hour sous vide and then put the bags in the fridge. Well the purge integrated back into the meat....tasted bad.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here