Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really fast pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really fast pulled pork

Hi all,

I felt in the mood for another cook today, and I thought I was gonna challenge myself. I bought a really nice boston butt weighing in at 2.5 kilos, or 5.5 lbs. Just the right size! The challenge was to see how fast I could get it done.

The plan
    Cook hot. Wrap after the stall, when the bark was good enough (not perfect, just good enough).

The gear
    My Big Green Egg
    The Smobot, managing the top vent for me.
    BGE charcoal (oak + hickory)

Timeline
    The day before: I rubbed the butt liberally with my own KC Royale pork rub. Left it in the fridge overnight, covered.
    11:00 - fire up the grill
    11:40 - put the meat on, wait for the grill to tune in to 140° C (285° F). Close the lid and don't open it.
    14:40 - three hours in, check meat temp. 75° C (167° F), decided bark was good enough, wrapped with dual layers of aluminum foil.
    14:45 - put the wrapped meat back on, cranked the heat up to 150° C (300° F)
    16:15 -
    checked meat temp, was 95-96° C (203-204° F), took it off, into the faux cambro.
    18:15 - unwrapped. The meat still held 77° C (171° F).

So, in essence: smoke for 3 hours. Wrap, cook for 1.5 hours. Total cook time 4.5 hours. Rest for arbitrary time, I was aiming for one hour, but due to errands and other distractions it rested for two hours.

Key techniques
    The egg. Really moist air in it. I will do this on a kettle also, but then a large water pan is mandatory.
    The wrap, or Texas Crutch

Man, this was FUN!!!

The pork was super juicy, one of the best I've ever done. The flavor was just right, with balanced smoke and delicious pork flavor. Epic!

I didn't spray, inject, or anything. I only opened the lid twice.

Here I am, applying the rub

Click image for larger version

Name:	pp_raw.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	573720

Here's the butt, ready to be wrapped after 3 hours

Name:	pp_halftime.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	573721

And the final product, juicy as can be, I saved all the 'au jus'

Name:	pp.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	573722

So, were there any sacrifices? Yes, I didn't get the optimal bark. But given the time savings, I can live with that. This would be real fun trying in my stick burner, where the air flow will build a lot more bark. In that case I'm sure I would have to wrap a lot sooner too.

Good job, Henrik. You should write a book. Oh, that's right.

Just kidding. I have your book but not in front of me now. BTW, there were a couple of spots where the Swedish was not translated. Do you happen to know offhand and can you correct them for us?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it was just all the curse words, probably left in Swedish intentionally! Henrik

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! Not fit for print!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik it was that kitchen Swedish Spanish that everyone speaks.

Looks good! Good record keeping. How thick was the Boston Butt? I usually do 10 pounders a good 4” thick. I don’t think I could cook one that fast.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      This one was 4 inches thick. Should've mentioned that, since it matters. Good point!

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik thanks. Mine like yours usually hit the stall in about 3 hours.

Looks very good Henrik !! Good choice on the Rub Too!!

Comment

Very nice Henrik. An inspiration to us all. I’m gonna try this next butt cook.
      Moisture in my LSG will be no problem. It will hold 3 gallons of water.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        The LSG is an amazing smoker!

Nice work Henrik! I love to cook butts hot and fast. They can take thereat so there really is no reason not to cook them fast. I wrap at about 175-180, but that is only because I love that bark. I also go up too about 325 F and usually I am using the PBC. Maybe I will try it in the BGE next time.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I will wrap later next time, bark is king after all.

I will usually go low-ish and slow-ish with butts until the bark gets the way I like it, then wrap and crank up the heat to fast forward the process. I think doing this and then allowing for adequate hold time of 1+ hrs is just fine.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        It sure is. This was just a fun test.

That's very good to know.

Comment

No wood?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          No, I think the BGE charcoal adds a lot of labor in itself.

Does your tub have much sugar in it? I’ve had the sugar scorch when getting above 300F? Did you worry about that at all?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          There sure is some sugar, but not as much as in many. So I didn’t worry about it, it worked out just fine:-)

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          The rub is fabulous.

I did 4 butts Saturday at 325 degrees
        Yep 4 hours

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool!

My experience with hot and fast is about the same as yours Henrik, it gets finished quite satisfactorily but just doesn't have the depth of bark I really like. I'm still a 275-280* F guy, I'll sacrifice the extra couple of hours for better bark. I mean what's the hurry?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          You're absolutely right. Usually I'm not in a hurry. Let bbq take it's time, it is part of the charm. I did this to expand my repertoire and learn new things. Just because I can :-) That doesn't mean I will cook butts this way all the time. But I'll do a few more butts to see if I can improve the bark and shorten the cook time. Again, just because I can. It's fun, and I learn new things.

Open up the kettle and you will get great bark. 300° + or - 10° is just fine. I leave it sit where it lands. 275° works great for ribs too!

nice post!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I actually think the kettle is better for this, since the air in it is less humid.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Either way Henrik you get great flow. Kettle chambers can be moist and flowing or dry and flowing and anything in between. Their nature is opposite of the BGE efficiency. So I would guess.

Henrik , I have used my BGE to turn out tasty pulled pork in 4 hours, running with a butt sitting in a pan (no flare ups) on the place setter, running 400 degrees. Lost a little bark, but the rest is still top notch!! Good post man, great read.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I knew people had tried this before me, good to hear your experiences! And you cooked hotter than I did. Cool, will do minor tweaks the next time, but my MO stays basically the same.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here