Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone-In Pork Shoulder Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone-In Pork Shoulder Picnic

This was my first picnic and first bone-in. 8 1/2 lbs

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	57322

Skinned it and trimmed off the fat, then oiled it, did a layer of Huskee's Rub and then a layer of Memphis Meat Dust. I wanted a little sweetness and a little savoriness and didn't want to figure out my own.

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	57323

About a day and a half in the garage fridge, so it was partially frozen. It went on the kettle with the Vortex at 36 internal. Did a 3x2 donut around the Vortex with 3 apple chunks along the way, and a water pan. Held a pretty steady 250ish all day despite the occasional wind & snow. 11+ hours later and we had a meteor - some really crunchy bark

Name:	IMG_1292.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	57324

(Oh no, the photo issue is starting again!)

Here it is just off the bone

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	57325

And then pulled and chopped

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	57327
    Attached Files

Nice! Textbook execution of that picnic. I love the simplicity and effectiveness that a vortex + fuse gives you.

Comment

Great cook TB. Great color on that deal.

Comment

Thanks guys. Wasn't sure what to expect as to differences with pork butt and boneless, but other than just a tad less fat, it seems the same to me.

Comment

That's something I haven't tried. MMD+HRR. Let's call it Muskee's Rib Dust. Lol.

How was the flavor, did it hit where you wanted?

Comment

It did, although I could have seasoned it a little heavier. I've really been into bolder flavoring lately.

Comment

If you like bold, and if you cook much chicken, try BBBR on chicken. Wowzers. Talk about Cajun-style chicken! I'm with you on big & bold for most things.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here