Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time SLC Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time SLC Ribs

Picked up a 3 pack of SLC Ribs from Costco this week at ~9 lbs. Not sure I’ve ever even eaten those before, definitely never smoked them. Always BBs since I seem to find them much more easily. One rack was the "control" - it got our go to (read: my daughters favorite) BB rib treatment with MMD and a sweet KC style sauce so we could really compare the two cuts. The other two racks got a Rufus Teague spicy meat rub and Whiskey Maple BBQ sauce. Got them on the preheated 26” with SNS XL and applewood chunks at 10am. Refilled the reservoir at 12:30pm. At 3pm they all got sauced. At 4pm the one closest to the heat was ready (bend test) and went into the hold, the others came off 30 min later and joined the first. At 5pm started slicing them and our neighbors showed up. Perfect timing! My wife made baked beans and cole slaw, and our neighbors brought homemade mac and cheese and apple pie. Everyone loved the ribs. I think I liked them better than the BBs - seemed to be more in there to render and offer juicy flavor. But they also had a little more "stuff" to chew around in the way of cartilage or something so I’m on the losing end of the popular vote in my house. As for the rubs and sauces, it was pretty much a 50/50 split on preference. All in all a great day smoking meat and sharing with family and friends. 👍🏻
    Attached Files

I used to prefer BBs, but now I’m hooked on SLCs. It’s like pork light meat vs pork dark meat. (Not that I’d walk away from BBs.)

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a really great comparison! I’ll definitely get SLC into the mix on occasion, especially if I find them consistently at Costco.

Well, for a St Louis Cut spare rib virgin your first try was a major success! Those look amazing.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! 👍🏻

Ya done good! Since there are only two of us, I buy whatever is available at my local Publix. SLCs are my first choice, but not always available.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankya, sir!

Do ya'll cut the flap of meat off the bone side of the STLs? Sometimes it's a tiny flap, sometimes it's a big ol' meat curtain (ahem). I'm just curious, because that flap has some of the membrane on it - and if you work to try to remove that, it can tear apart, it can be a real problem.

So I'm curious how you guys deal with that issue with STLs?

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Remove the flap.

• smn1285
      smn1285 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, always trim that back meat flap off. It’s the "bonus rib meat" as my wife puts it. It’s never been an issue for me. Pretty easy to trim off and still remove the membrane as many racks as I have done.

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      I remove them and then put some rub on it and then smoke them as little snacks for myself. The cook has to eat!

Good write up. I always work with SLC ribs, don't mess with spares or BB any more.

Say, how are things in the Carolina's recovering ???

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troutman ! Everything here is just fine, but still not so lucky just an hour east of me. Saw crazy pics this past week of fire trucks on interstate 40 using hoses to wash dead fish off the road, mounds of trash, appliances, etc piled up in front of people’s homes, and now they’re having to spray for mosquitoes that are suddenly rampant. Crazy stuff!

Nice man! You have seen the light! I like SLC much better than baby backs. More uniform, cook more evenly and they allow for a nice square rack that is great fro adding rubs, sauces and glazes.

Great looking cook and thank you for sharing it with us!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Spinaker ! Now I just need to convince the other two mouths in the house that SLC are better. I did go for the smallest pack I found, maybe a bigger meatier pack will do the trick. I also may have jacked up the ends a bit when slicing, dunno why but I struggle cutting ribs.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Because those ribs are hard to find at the end. I trim them off and make riblets. 😎FishTalesNC

Nice job! We mostly do Costco SLC.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! And now I know where they are in the store... I was actually searching for pork belly (they were out) so it was a nice surprise find.

Welcome to the "elite pork rib forces"! ;-)

Spares for me, as often as possible!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, thanks EdF ! Hopefully I now have "clearance" to find them more often.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here