Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoulder Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder Questions

So I am stepping out and doing a shoulder tonight to make some tacos/carnitas for a lunch at work tomorrow. Up until now, I have only cooked for family and close friends. I have a 9lb bone in shoulder. Problem is that it is supposed to rain later tonight - somewhere around 11:30. Here is the plan, please let me know what you guys think.

I salted it last night. I am going to try and get the shoulder on the WSM at around 6 this evening at 225. I am going to use apple and cherry wood chunks with the charcoal. I am hoping that gets it up to around 140 or so by around 11 and gets some smoke in it. I am going to pull it off the WSM, wrap it in foil with a little apple juice and put it in the oven at 225 for the rest of the night. Get up about 6AM tomorrow, hope it is up to temp (can't stay up and drink beer this time - my employer probably wouldn't like me stumbling in smelling like a brewery), cambro it and bring it into the office. Instead of pulling it, I am going to chop it and put the pieces in a slow cooker on low at around 10:30 to eat at 11:30. I won't be able to crisp it up, but I am hoping the chunks will be pretty tender.

Oh yeah, I am going to use MMD for the rub.

Here is a pic of the brined shoulder:

Click image for larger version

Name:	butt.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	570853

You could always run 250-275 without any real noticeable difference as opposed to just running 225.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this. Run it hotter. The higher heat will create better bark over your limited time period.

• SMO
      SMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. The oven plan should work just fine also.

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, cook hotter.

I say let it ride in your WSM until the charcoal in it dies down to <200. I also second smoking it hotter. I also suggest cutting it in half. Do two 4.5lbers instead of one 9lber. Add more salt & rub to the cut sides before tossing in the WSM.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes - cut it in half. I do this as well. More bark and a slightly shorter stall. It's a win/win.

Name:	1CF4DB31-0394-47B1-B8BE-3A9C68E75AEE.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	570877 I also cut in half. I also been known to foil pan them and finish inside once they are nice andblack.

Comment

I cook on a BGE. Here is what a typical cook looks like. At the 3 hour mark the temp is about 160. The stall 160 - 180 takes about 6 hours and then 180 to 200 takes about 3 hours. Putting it on a 6 pm would have it finish 6 - 8 in the morning. I don’t wrap often, but in my experience it cuts the cook time in half. With your plan it will be more than done in the morning. If you have a way to shield your cooker from the rain with something as simple as an umbrella, I think you will be fine letting it go through the night @ 250-275 maybe adding some charcoal before you go to bed. Check it 1st thing when you get up in the morning.

Comment

Smoke till bark is set, crutch in foil (skip adding fluid, it will sog the bark), finish in oven at 275°

Comment

So work got in the way and I got home later than expected. I didn't check back here first like I meant to - just got it on the wsm in one piece at around 7:30 with a few cherry chunks. I am running at 270 - it has been at that temp since I put it on. @LA Pork Butt, I don't have a way to cover the smoker, plus it looks like it may storm - I saw some lightening flashes a few minutes ago. It is 10:30 now, I am going to hold out as long as I can before I move it to the oven. The meat is at 133 right now.

Smoking a big hunk of meat makes me happy, even when things don't work exactly to plan

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I just noticed the site says I posted this at 9:27; I am on EST so it is 10:30 here.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Hell yeah. It’s like therapy. In fact I’m going for some therapy on Thursday. Haha. I’ Throw up a post than. 💥

On the way to the smoker Click image for larger version

Name:	butt.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	570989

Comment

So I just pulled it as the thunder and lightening came closer. Wrapped in foil with a little juice, in the oven at 250. Temp was 144 when I pulled it, smoker at 269. Going to bed, fingers crossed.

Name:	butt1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	570999

Comment

Success!!! So I got up this morning at 6:30 and the temp was 210. Turned the oven off, did my morning thing, wrapped it in new foil for travel and poured the jus into a bowl so I could bring some to the office with me. The bark wasn't set as much as I would have liked it; the appearance really didn't change that much from when I put it in the oven. The bone pulled out clean - a good sign.

I used one of those insulated bags and a towel for my cambro. Left it in the lunch room until 10:30. The insulated bag worked well as it was still pretty hot when I chopped and pulled it. I put it in the slow cooker on low with some of the jus and a little water. Ate at 11; lots of compliments but the biggest compliment of all was the empty slow cooker after lunch. I'll say it again - you guys are the... "stuff". Thanks for all the tips, and most of all, thanks for amazingribs.com. Here is a pic I took when I took it out of the oven. No pics of it pulled and chopped - it disappeared too quickly.

Name:	butt2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	571137

Comment

• NoogaQ
                NoogaQ commented
                Editing a comment
                You da man!!!

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                NoogaQ? Where are you? I live in East Brainerd.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here