Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesquite wood chunks over charcoal for pork ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite wood chunks over charcoal for pork ribs

Hi guys,

I will be doing my first ever smoking and i'm planning to do pork ribs on my COS.

What are your thoughts of using mesquite chunks as a smoke flavor for pork ribs? Or as a first timer should I consider using a milder kind of wood for flavor like Apple wood chunks? Also, do you have any recommendations of how many chunks at a time?

I will be placing them over charcoal, using Char-broil mesquite wood chunks, and will be doing the 321 method.

Thank you all in advance.

First of all welcome to the forum, typing without glasses so forgive errors

A. Couple mesquite chunks won't hurt. I once smoked an entire meatloaf using only mesquite chunks. Expensive cook AWESOME MEATLOAF.

B. Any particular reason why you are using the 3-2-1 method?

Comment

Hi Jerod! Thanks for your reply!

I'm just gonna use the 3-2-1 method as a guide since this will be my very first smoke, and maybe start adjusting based from my result on this cook. Gonna use Salt, Pepper and Garlic as a dry rub.

Any recommendations for dry rubs are also very much welcome

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        For ribs the following does great. I prefer Thyme over Rosemary and Allspice over Ginger. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ust-rub-recipe

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        MMD is a great rub for pork for sure. I've never done the 3-2-1 method, but however you cook your ribs, make sure they are done. Either probe between the rib bones, (the probe should slide in with almost no resistance), or use the bend test. When picked up with tongs from one end, they should show obvious cracks when they bend.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here