Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hump day meal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hump day meal

Well, today was wib Rendnesday….you hear that?...Last night I prepped them by removing the membrane and applied the rub. I used a Steven Raichlen recipe, Maple and Molasses Glazed Baby Backs, but we preferred the ST. Louis cut. (Sorry, Meathead, the reason I went with this recipe is because I use Memphis rub on everything pork and wanted to try something different. It was also a good excuse to use the turbinado sugar for the first time since we didn’t have maple sugar on hand...yet) I was going to use the PBC for the cook. Now, as I was applying the rub, I heard this voice of a Swede in my head saying "Cut it in half!" I thought, that was such a great idea when I did the pork butt for a couple of reasons: 1) it would have the potential to cook faster. 2) more surface area for bark. So I thought "Great! A faster cook on the PBC..." Ok, the REAL reason was so that they wouldn’t hang in the coals.

After applying the rub on both sides of each rib bundle, I wrapped them individually in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge over night.

This morning, after getting up at the crack of 10:30AM, I got the PBC ready. Then unwrapped the ribs. I decided to put mayo on the ribs instead of mustard, and then applied a final coat of the rub.

Around noon I put the ribs in the PBC and set the PartyQ for 325F. For the next 2+ hours I could not get the temp up over 300F. Since I was hanging the ribs I could not remove the rebar. I did install a Weber damper and finally opened it up completely. After 3 hours, I was able to maintain a steady 325F. At 3:30PM checked the ribs for doneness. At first I thought that the smaller end of the ribs was done but after checking the thinker end, thought they needed a little more time. At 4PM I removed the ribs and brushed the glaze on each side. I removed the hooks and put the ribs back on the 2 levels of grates installed in the PBC. I left the lid off of the PBC during the time I was glazing the ribs. Once the ribs were in the PBC I put the lid back on and set the PartyQ to 400F. I let that go for about 20 minutes. The glaze was bubbling as I removed the ribs. I covered them in foil for about 15 minutes and then the rest of the meal was ready.

The glaze was great. I plan on making a double batch next time so that I can glaze the individual ribs after they are cut. I did over cook them though which seems to be what I do with most of my cooks. So afraid of undercooking, especially chicken, that I take it too far. They were good, but not that slight tug as you bite into them. The meat was just a little grainy. My wife liked them, which is a plus.

Here are some pics:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	565311

Name:	IMG_0051.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	565312

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	565313

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	565314

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	565315

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	565316

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	565317

Name:	IMG_0057.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	565318
    I know that these do not look like the picture, but it was a professionally done staged picture and since we don't have a stage, I had to use our kitchen counter.

Name:	IMG_0059.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	565319
    FYI, that lemon isn't real.

Good write up. Never tried a glaze like that but my kids enjoy sweet anything so I may give it a try. Just one question, why such a hot temp?

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      The recipe called for 325 for the cook and then put the glazed ribs directly over the fire for a few minutes each side. I could not get close to the fire so this was the next best thing. 20 minutes now seems too long for that. Might be where they became over cooked.

Great lookin' ribs. My wife likes ribs that fall off the bone. Me - not so much, so I cut the rack in half so that I can leave hers in longer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here