Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Chop recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Chop recipe

Keeping up with the daily recipe revisit:

If you are like me, making something as simple as a pork chop used to be a task. The tenderness and moisture variances used to make it just not worth my time. Using the VERY simple brine recipe here changed that. I went through a "chop phase". I haven't done them in awhile, but Meathead's request to peruse and rate the recipes have me thinking I will be doing them this weekend. If you have used the recipe give it a rating if you haven't already. If you haven't used the technique and have had some of the same problems as I used to, give it a try.

Ensure moist and flavorful pork chops every time with this recipe for brined and smoked chops. While the lack of fat can often result in dry pork chops, a simple brine will keep them extra juicy. They are then smoked and seared on the grill for a deep smoky flavor before being finished with a tangy mustard bbq sauce.

Thanks for the post - I hadn't read the Blonder Brine link.

Comment

I use the Blonder Brine for my pork chops. It is the first step, followed by whatever variation I've made on MMD, smoke until 125, glaze with maple syrup-sherry vinegar, until IT is 135-140. I do the smoke on the grilla, and then the glaze goes on the gasser.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have a gasser yet. I'm kind'a hoping someone will make a grate for the 22" BlackStone, or I might... Never thought I'd see the sense in a gasser, but I'm starting to.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        If o had a kettle, I’d slow and sear them with charcoal all around. I think the Blackstone would put an adequate sear on to caramelized the glaze, but it might be messy.
        Last edited by Potkettleblack; September 9, 2018, 08:30 AM.

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        The maple syrup-sherry vinegar glaze is also awesome with brussel sprouts and bacon.

Interesting, I hadn't read the related article on brining before. But sometime a few years ago I stopped doing wet brines for the reasons stated and I also didn't like managing huge containers filled with raw chicken and water in the fridge.

This is much better:

Not to say there's not a place for wet brines. A couple of years ago I got the nickel tour of a new BBQ place in Minnesota. Great food but unfortunately they closed due to issues with the building owner.

Comment

I read this post and I thought I would give it a try as it sounded good to me. I bought some thick cut pork chops, I wet brined them overnight and I cooked them today and they were pretty good. I smoked them on the Traeger until they were 125F then I finished them on the gas grill. Everyone thought they were good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B9DE9DA5-9D00-4B97-A39E-60FA9DC84E05.jpeg
Views:	803
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	563972

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Very good! Were they uniform and moist? That's what the problem the brining solved for me.

Yes they were, as I said everyone liked them. As I like to say I got lucky again and it is all because of this web site.

Comment

Did the smoked pork chops with a dry brine, Meathead's Dry Rub, and Orange wood pellets for the smoke. My wife says I can do that again anytime. Why, I can even feed it to company, LOL! Also, did the baked potatoes, cut in 1/2 lengthwise. Since I was doing the pork chops low and slow at 225 on the indirect side, I microwaved the potatoes for 5 minutes at the beginning and then 5 more at the end. Got it all finished at the same time and it was great! Only the second time using Grill Grates, so it was definitely a learning experience.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got 2 big hunks left on a pork loin I've got to do something with. Going to raid inventory for some orange. Wish you'd taken a picture!

• SmokingSteve
            SmokingSteve commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought I had pics. But I don't! I do, however, have pics of the shishkebabs of chicken, pineapple and mushrooms
            Last edited by SmokingSteve; November 5, 2018, 06:38 PM.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Man - I would love to see the shishkebab photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoked Pork Chops using Orange wood pellets in foil for smoke.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	588828Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoked baked potato.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	588829Click image for larger version

Name:	Bacon wrapped chicken mushrooms and pineapple shishkebabs (2).jpg
Views:	730
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	588827

Comment

Top is the smoked pork chops, then the smoked baked potatoes and last are the shish kebabs!

Comment

I've been using Oak Ridge BBQ's brine mix. It's pre mixed so all you do is measure it out and dissolve it in water and follow the recommended brining times on the package. It's great stuff and easy to use. My pork and chicken come out amazingly flavorful and moist.When I mixed my own I use to use mostly apple juice instead of water and I will still do that with the Oak Ridge if I have the apple juice around. I know Meathed poo poo's using juices and other flavorings but I can tell you that it will help your chicken skin to crisp up and a give your pork a nicer bark not to mention a nice mahogany color on both And a bit of sweet flavor on the front end.

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Good information. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here