Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious business

ok guys, and girls, today I will be smoking a 10 lb pork butt, I’ve done butt before but never this big, so I was thinking on wrapping it, kinda looking for suggestions there..... and I recently heard of the minion method for offset smokers??? So basically you put your lit coals on the inside of the firebox, toward the cooking chamber, and a equal amount of unlit coals on the vent side of the firebox, supposedly it causes a slower more steady burn... don’t know, but we will.... pictures to follow

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCCED083-2534-4910-A198-735A32351F86.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	560268

Comment

Name:	7B2E6017-DAD6-4D2E-B0D3-BB98D7689292.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	560270

Comment

Big or small I like to wrap 'em after they come out of the stall, say 170-180ish. I also recommend cutting it in half. Two ~5lbers will give you more bark, more rub/salt and smoke exposure, and thus more flavor in the end product. Sometimes it even quickens the cook up but not always. Unless you just want to cook a big'un. Enjoy your cook!

Comment

• Mudbeaver
          Mudbeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta do her whole my man!

I have been wrapping mine to save time, I just did a 9lb Boneless. 235 till 160 internal, wrapped in foil took off the smoker @203 internal. Took 10.5 hrs. I let it rest in a cooler for around 4hrs. A lot of people cook them hotter which will also save time. Not sure on the offset but I run my Weber with the Minion or Snake Method. It works great.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
          Mudbeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          The snake is what I thought of when I was told, we’ll see, so I’ll wrap her at 170 gotta keep Huskee happy ha ha

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Mudbeaver I routinely do 10#ers on my BGE and don’t wrap,unless I am short on time. I cook then at2 25 and hold them in a faux cambro for two hours. Cook time is typically 12;hours.

Ya got this, amigo!
        In my Highland, if I were doin a charcoal cook vs wood, (I use wood, lit on a bed of 1 chimley briqs) reckon I'd start with ~2 chimleys of KBB, drop ~a chimley of lit on there, all doors n vents open wide, let it catch fer a bit, close cook chamber lid, watch temps rise some, close firebox lid, keep bringin up temps, finally, swing th firebox door towards closed, when yer temps look like ya might overshoot temp, mebbe fiddle with th chimley vent cap, some, if it makes ya feel better...

I have a really heavy duty wood / charcoal basket that'd do jus peachy keen fer an all charcoal minion cook...I'll find where I posted it on th forum, an link to it, here in a few, as coffee kicks in..

I ain't discountin anybodys veracity, on th interwebs, but, in my eyes, it shouldn't matter if ya start yer fire on which end of yer firebox...Minion method is basically stockpilin a large amount of fuel fer a longer cook, introducin a comparatively small amount of lit fuel, to produce a slow spreadin fire that can achieve / hold yer desired temps fer a lengthy period of time.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 3, 2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
          Mudbeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup I normally light and put two chimneys in there to start, heats her up quicker, put wood on Lil before meat, I don’t have a basket, just old grates out a a diff grill, holds em up bout 4”. I will be tryin a all wood cook here soon always run top vent wide open I just worry bou too much heat

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Mudbeaver Link to pic of my charcoal basket added ^^^
          Have fun smokin that big ol 10 lb. butt, brother!
          Gonna be a great, porkalicious day, at yer house!

• Mudbeaver
          Mudbeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Mr. Bones ! How long will she run on a full basket?
          Last edited by Mudbeaver; September 3, 2018, 11:07 AM.

Please keep the photos comin'.

Comment

Name:	5B7C4054-CC6F-4137-8DCE-45C1DFFF1013.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	560368
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mudbeaver
            Mudbeaver commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF yessir, after putting the gaskets in she didn’t close too good, and way cooler than those floppy tabs, the rotor on the bottom is usually on the firebox

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Improvisation at its finest!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            The chains - I love it!!!

Hard stall at 156

Comment

Name:	DF5B388D-D581-4D59-A136-0D2B30CCD951.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	560775 Pre wrap

Comment

Name:	E8C240E1-EC69-4D2B-8656-1A1041E5C6A3.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	560778 Done

Comment

Name:	495289E4-C3D1-44CD-A8C5-8E1EDF06D87A.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	560788 Pulled

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Win!

Humidity gave me a heck of a fight but I got her done. Rode 180 forever, kinda stinks I had to pull I fresh out of the smoker, but had to feed the grandparent in laws.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey, it looked great!

And you had the honor to feed them. I was too old!

Very nice

Comment

Yeah, my greatest joy from doing this is feeding others

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here